• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127

Hot mag won't work

Started by Jdmcfast, November 24, 2012, 10:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

I have a brand new hot mag that I have for two days and now it won't do anything! I have taken it apart and put it back together 20 times. Anyone have any suggestions?
Josh

BallAquatics

Does the impeller turn, (item #9 on the diagram)?  If not, is the motor not working, or is the impeller blocked with a piece of grit or something?  Just a process of elimination.....

Dennis

Mugwump

It can be somethng simple..and usually is HAE.....

gaskets on right
'O' rings in place
bottom assembly positioned corrrectly
impellar turning freely..(check the impellar pit)
filter cartridge seated down on the bottom plate tight
thin tube up the center exhaust tube clear and in position..
filled 3/4 or better with water to prime it
outlet not tripped....hehe

take it completely apart, and walk away...come back and do it

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

I have taken it all apart several times. The motor atleast vibrates a little but does not do anything when put together. Impeller is brand new has ran for less than 4 hours total, but I did take it apart and put it back together to have the same conclusion.
Josh

Mugwump

Are you sure that it's not hung up in the 'ball' housing???...all that hangs out is the magnet , and it should spin freely....pull the impeller and put it in by itself..nothing else...start it and see if it spins...if so then dble check when putting it back in the 'ball' that it spins free....if it does, then it should work.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Did it spin by itself...???....
Jon

Jdmcfast

I was running on 2 hours of sleep yesterday so I did my water changes and crashed out. I'll take a look at it again today
Josh

Jdmcfast

Impeller still does not spin! It vibrates but it does not spin at all:'(
Josh

Mugwump

It's either the motor or impeller....have got a similar size impeller to try???....If the unit's new..call them and send it back....
Jon

Jdmcfast

I've been trying but we are playing phone tag
Josh

Mugwump

Hey Josh, did this ever get resolved??...It's shame that it didn't work for you....'hot mags' are a workhorse in my fishroom....great product..
Jon

Jdmcfast

Didn't get it working but they are sending me a replacement should be here wednesday:)
Josh

LizStreithorst

I'm glad that they're taking care of it for you.  IME HOT Magnums are very reliable and easy to trouble shoot.  I run one 24/7 on each of the 11 tanks I have running except for the baby bristlenose tank.  My Magnums are ancient.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

That's good that they're taking care of you....it's a reliable product, from a good outfit..
Jon

b125killer

that's good to hear there taking care of you. 
Scott