• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 03:05:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178
Total: 178

Gymnogeophagus balzanii

Started by PaulineMi, May 28, 2014, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I was reading about the mouth brooding cichlid species Gymnogeophagus balzanii.  Thought I'd share what the author wrote that he experienced with his:

Here is an interesting tid-bit that I found interesting about the female after she finally released her fry that did not survive. I had another net hanging across the top of the tank with some two day old Corydoras paleatus fry. As I had finished cleaning out the bodies of her unfortunate fry, I accidently bumped the net containing the cory fry. Into the tank went seventy percent of the cory fry! My first instinct was to try and get all the fry out before the pair devoured them. To my surprise, the female began picking the little cory babies up in her mouth and after what appeared to be a 'swooshing' motion to 'clean' her babies, she would then release the fry. She did this for several days and the cory fry did not seem to be too upset with the whole idea. The third day the cory fry were large enough for me to remove them from the tank and place them in a tank of their own to finish growing out. This female definitely had a maternal instinct.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 28, 2014, 06:07:17 PM
I was reading about the mouth brooding cichlid species Gymnogeophagus balzanii.  Thought I'd share what the author wrote that he experienced with his:

Here is an interesting tid-bit that I found interesting about the female after she finally released her fry that did not survive. I had another net hanging across the top of the tank with some two day old Corydoras paleatus fry. As I had finished cleaning out the bodies of her unfortunate fry, I accidently bumped the net containing the cory fry. Into the tank went seventy percent of the cory fry! My first instinct was to try and get all the fry out before the pair devoured them. To my surprise, the female began picking the little cory babies up in her mouth and after what appeared to be a 'swooshing' motion to 'clean' her babies, she would then release the fry. She did this for several days and the cory fry did not seem to be too upset with the whole idea. The third day the cory fry were large enough for me to remove them from the tank and place them in a tank of their own to finish growing out. This female definitely had a maternal instinct.

..interesting....you know 'fostering' angel spawns can work very,very well too... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Brewmaster on Simply fostered a spawn of Angel fry with a spawn of Discus.  He posted about it.  The little Angels actually ate from the sides of the Discus pair.  The Discus pair were as devoted to the baby Angels as much as they would be to their own kids.  It blew me away!
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...I saw that....thanks for reminding me about it.....and yep, crazy..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It blew me away.  The parenting instinct can be very strong. I once had a Toy Poodle who would mother my baby goats.
Always move forward. Never look back.