• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 06:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 136
Total: 136

St Isabel/Rio Negro fry...

Started by Mugwump, November 23, 2012, 03:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Folks this is what a real healthy spawn looks like.....'stringers' all stuck together....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

looks cool  how do they string together like that? is there a reason they do it?
Scott

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

The strings are from the 'stickum' on their heads. It's what keeps them where the parents spit them....it's very natural...and a good sign...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

Will those grow up to look like real Angle fish...  I mean wild type - silver angels?  If so, I might have to try and talk you out of some next spring.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Yes, some will appear like the Santa Isabel (red freckly back) and some like the Rio Negro...they should have a bit of wild glitter colors and possibly a little snakeskin....others should be some Albino's, as each parent carries the gene.....time will tell the expressions...
Parents were both were from a St Isabel cross to a Rio Negro that had been crossed to a PB Silver ghost with an albino gene.....+/+ +/S +/pb +/a......
fry should be...
1  Silver  14.0625 % 
2  Blue silver  4.6875 % 
3  Silver albino  4.6875 % 
4  Blue silver albino  1.5625 % 
5  Ghost  28.125 % 
6  Blue ghost  9.375 % 
7  Ghost albino  9.375 % 
8  Blue ghost albino  3.125 % 
9  Blushing  14.0625 % 
10  Paraiba  4.6875 % 
11  Blushing albino  4.6875 % 
12  Paraiba albino  1.5625 % 

I ,also, have nickle+ sized fry from a Manacapuru( red back) crossed pair, I'm hoping that a good many carry that gene...again, some will have wild type appearance and some will express from the 'het' genes from the cross..crossing to wild strengthens the lines...I'm excited for having two good batches to work with....I have other pairs of wilds and wild crosses getting ready....also, what looks to be a very good Koi spawn at wiggler stage.....ramping up the projects again..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

Mugwump

Well so far, the fry are doing well and eating good....I lost a few of the weaker fry, very possibly some of the Albinos.....time, and growth, will tell what actually survived.....still a good size spawn hatch.....
Jon

PaulineMi

Very nice Jon!  I wish you the best of luck with your wilds and wild cross breedings!  As an owner of some wild crosses I hold a special place for them.  They possess a beauty all their own.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 01, 2012, 07:14:06 AM
Very nice Jon!  I wish you the best of luck with your wilds and wild cross breedings!  As an owner of some wild crosses I hold a special place for them.  They possess a beauty all their own.

Yes they do...the blue/green glitter and occasional snakeskin markings offer some good 'eye candy'....I've been working a few of these lines for awhile now and the shapes and finage from the fry is a pleasure to see. The adults all have good size/thickness and growth.
Jon

Mugwump

Most recent vid....look thru the glass at the Koi spawn streamers in the tank next to it....awesome....yep....
Jon

Mugwump

The Koi spawn seems to be doing well but the 'wild crosses' are not eating right, and dying off...puzzling...water's good,etc...rechecked the bbs hatchery for vermin and all seems in line....perhaps I'll raise the next batch in all R/O...the softer water may give a healthy hatch...??
Jon

PaulineMi

Awww....so sorry to hear about your wild cross fry not making it.  Best of luck on your next attempt.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 12, 2012, 06:48:24 PM
Awww....so sorry to hear about your wild cross fry not making it.  Best of luck on your next attempt.

It was parially my bad...I should have used the vinegar eels more, to get some to size before starting the bbs. When the smallest(Albino) started to go I knew that I'd messed up....the dying small ones really add a bacteria factor to the tank..as clean as you can keep it, you're bound to lose a bunch....the larger ones, by nature, take a nip of the weak ones, and it steamrolls from there...dang...but the next one's mine....lots of TLC...and maybe separate the bigger ones earlier...??
Jon