• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 08:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

New Breeding tank

Started by Jo, November 20, 2012, 05:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo

Hey Everyone,

Finally got the tanks rearranged and the 25 set up for a breeding tank.

Just wanted opinions on setup. I think Frank the Plumber said something about big plant for fish to hide behind if he gets aggressive.

So here is couple shots of new setup, please critique and tell me what would be better. I haven't moved fish in yet.

Jo

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Ok well he has not paired up with anyone else. They stay close. If one of the other females gets close she runs them off. Think I should just stick with them? or try other female?
Jo

Mugwump

I'd say give it a whirl...you know who the bad guy is now....when they spawn, if any sign of aggression,,,yank his butt and let her raise them....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

That's what I'll do. One more question. How important in the leaving the lights on tank on? I just realized this second doh! that I moved them into my bedroom and will not want the light on all night. This isn't a led hood with blue night light. Glass top and fluorescent light.
Jo

Mugwump

tape some paper around it at night, if ya want....or put a night light next to it??/
Jon

Jo

ok, I just peeked in on them and they are looking happy swimming together. I gave them some blood worms. They took off though since I just netted them. Not at all interested in me now. LOL
Jo

b125killer

I like the tank. Are you going to let them parent raise?
Scott

Jo

Thank you! Yes that is what I want them to do. I will just wait and see what happens. If the male gets agressive and hurting her again. I'm taking him out.

When I checked them this morning they are still swimming together.
Jo

b125killer

Is that a HOB filter in there? If so you may want to cover the intake or it could suck up the fry. I'm hopping my pair will parent raise too.
Scott

Jo

Yes it is. I will cover it if they lay eggs again. Just hiding and watching for now.
Jo

Mugwump

"Ssshhh", "Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm watching angels"
Jon

Jo

Jo

Jo

They have laid 2 times in here since I set it up and always eat the eggs. I'm not going to raise myself. I also have another pair forming in my 46 so I may take these 2 out and put them in. Very frustrated. Never had this much trouble before!
Jo

b125killer

Maybe next time they will do better.
Scott