• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Sterbai spawn

Started by Jdmcfast, November 20, 2012, 06:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

My sterbai's spawned last night. I got 30-40 eggs pulled hopefully I'll get some to survive.
Josh

BallAquatics

Congratulations Josh, best of luck with the spawn!

Dennis

Ron Sower

Hi Josh,
I'm growing up some sterbai juvies I got at our club mini-auction, planing to spawn them.  What do you do with the eggs when you pull them?  What tank conditions do you have set up?
Ron
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Sterbia's like it warmer....I'd use a 2 1/2 gal..small heater set to 80deg's and an airstone...don't siphon off any debtis,etc as they hatch...there's fry in there too.....when you see free swimmers, poof the debris and a bunch more will appear....be ready to feed, they don't really have egg sacs...they'll be hungry, I use microworms,banana worms and Walter worms, bbs...then the usual, clean water changes daily....good luck
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

They laid on the inside of a moss ball that my angels destroyed  lol. Right now I just pulled it out and it is in a large hanging specimen container with an airstone. I didn't realize they needed heat, ambient temp is about 76-77 but I started moving some fry around last night to grew up a small tank for them last night. How long do they take to hatch? 3-5 days?
Josh

Mugwump

They may not need to extra heat if you're that warm....and yes, my guess is 3 days or so...not too much air, just move the water around....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Congratulations Josh!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear how they do and see pics when they are big enough to see.
Jo

Jdmcfast

I came home to more eggs, actually on the glass this time. I got them all pulled and had no problem getting them to stick to my finger but some of them don't want to spend much time back on the side, they keep falling off. Will they be ok just laying on the bottom?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Mugwump

I just toss em in....LOL...bottom's fine.... ;D
Jon

Jdmcfast

Great!!!!

Josh

Jo

Wow Josh you will be rolling in the babies!!! Too cool!  8)
Jo

Jdmcfast

Do you use a little sand or just stick with bare bottom?

Josh

Mugwump

I hatch on a bare bottom....easier to see them, and to keep the tank clean....in a couple weeks you can move them to a 10 gal with a thin sand layer. if you want....my 10's are just fine gravel..
Jon

b125killer

congratulation on the spawn. Hope all goes well and you get alot of babies. 
Scott

Jdmcfast

Came home to more eggs again today

Josh