• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 06:14:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 202
Total: 202

Plats spawning

Started by b125killer, May 03, 2014, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I was messing around with the discus tank and watching these guys spawning. It was entertaining. The females would make there pass then the males. then the males would take a break and meet in the middle of the tank to fight a little. then they would start the processes all over again. I left the spawn on the intake tube and pulled the slate. I guess there lucky that the filter wasn't on.

Scott

Mugwump

....interesting about their priorities, huh?.....battle, fertilize, battle, etc... ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

It's always interesting to watch them. this is the first time I had a pair spawn together that I could watch from beginning to end. I should also add that the spawn I pulled has a better heater in it. temps are nice and toasty. 
Scott

wsantia1

Very nice Scott.  Good luck with those eggs. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

Thanks Willie, They are some pretty angels. You did a good job with them. I didn't know there was another female in there until today. I was thinking it was a male. I guess she showed me.
Scott

PaulineMi

You should get some prety babies from that pair.  Nice spawning picture.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

Thanks Pauline, so far the spawn looks good.
Scott

b125killer

I'm not sure what went wrong this time but the fry didn't make it.  :( they were doing so good. I was expecting them to start free swimming Friday and they didn't.  I wasn't too concerned yet. I did there water change and went to bed. When I got up this morning they were all dead. I was doing daily water changes and there temp were right. Just not to sure what happened.  I'm going to get a new sponge filter, air line, and more ridged tube for the next spawn. Just want to try and eliminate the chance of bacterial infection.  That's about the only thing I can think There might of been some bad guys on the filter or tubing.
Scott

wsantia1

Sorry to hear about that Scott.  I agree, try getting rid of all of the nasties.  I have all of my slates soaking in bleach right now because I want to get the next spawn right.
Willie

b125killer

Good thought Willie. I haven't cleaned my slate before.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on May 10, 2014, 09:12:02 PM
Good thought Willie. I haven't cleaned my slate before.

uh oh.....a very likely culprit for sure...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

Well that sucks Scott.

I used to soak my slates in bleach, rinse em and soak em in dechlor...... until one time after doing so I couldnt get a spawn to survive for a few month stretch.
Not exactly sure what was going on but my guess was the bleach (which is a very alkaline solution) soaked into the porous slates and even though rinsed and rinsed again in dechlor and air dried......the alkalinity was leaching out to some degree and killing off the eggs.

Im not positive that was what was happening or if its even remotely possible, but after a few months of just soaking in the breeder tanks, and my hoping for a decent spawn, the slates  finally seemed to 'fix" themselves just as suddenly as they "went bad".

Keep plugging away, they look like an awesome pair that will wind up rewarding you for your efforts

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on May 11, 2014, 11:01:28 AM
Well that sucks Scott.

I used to soak my slates in bleach, rinse em and soak em in dechlor...... until one time after doing so I couldnt get a spawn to survive for a few month stretch.
Not exactly sure what was going on but my guess was the bleach (which is a very alkaline solution) soaked into the porous slates and even though rinsed and rinsed again in dechlor and air dried......the alkalinity was leaching out to some degree and killing off the eggs.

Im not positive that was what was happening or if its even remotely possible, but after a few months of just soaking in the breeder tanks, and my hoping for a decent spawn, the slates  finally seemed to 'fix" themselves just as suddenly as they "went bad".

Keep plugging away, they look like an awesome pair that will wind up rewarding you for your efforts

...true....I soak mine in a very weak bleach solution...fill a fiver....flurp with the bleach....it doesn't take much, and more is not better......
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on May 11, 2014, 11:08:17 AM
Quote from: EdKaz on May 11, 2014, 11:01:28 AM
Well that sucks Scott.

...true....I soak mine in a very weak bleach solution...fill a fiver....flurp with the bleach....it doesn't take much, and more is not better......

Well I am going to soak these slates some more then.  I think my solution may have been a little strong.:o  I'll add some dechlor to it also. ::)
Willie

b125killer

I pulled all my slate and there soaking in a weak solution.  Also ordered more little spunge filters. I can find airline all over the place but haveing a hard time finding the ridged tube. I'm thinking of looking In hobby town for the push rod tubes. But I can't remember if they where clear or colored tubes. It's been a long time since I was in hobby town. I always got in trouble when I went there. They have the neatest toys ::)
Scott