• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 08:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Alder Cones

Started by P4Angels2, November 17, 2012, 06:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels2

Well another Saturday was spent going on a hunt for our shrimp and fish kids...

This time we actually had a mission to accomplish...We were looking for leaves and alder cones..Well we knew what leaves to look for and we easily completed that task filling a trash bag full......Mean while Aron went to put the leaves in the truck  I set off on a trail wondering what does an alder tree look like...So me being me..I pulled out the phone and did a quick search but still wasn't real sure...Well as I was walking along something told me to look at the ground and sure enough guess what was found...That's right alder cones...So I looked up and sure enough there was a tree right in front of me...By this time Aron caught up with me and was just getting ready to ask what this tree looked like and then he looked up and saw what I did...Thankfully him being as tall as he is he was able to pull branches down for me to pick these little bitty cones off the tree...we filled a sandwich bag full of them. So we decided that we needed to get some more bags and after we did we cut thru this parking lot and sure enough here is an alder tree full of cones...So we filled a grocery bag full of cones. Then went to a couple of other places and managed to finish out the day with 2 grocery bags full of cones !!! Shrimp's will be very happy along with several of Aron's new adventures of fish!!!

Mugwump

Black alder cones, right??.....good find...I'm jealous  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels2

Frank The Plumber

White oak leaves work well, I have a bunch of bags of them. Trick is that they must not get wet on the ground and start molding.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

I've used 10 in a toe off panty hose for cory tanks and it tans up the water nicely....(20gal long)
Shrimp like them to, as well as rams,etc.....let me know how they work out for you....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on November 17, 2012, 07:34:27 PM
White oak leaves work well, I have a bunch of bags of them. Trick is that they must not get wet on the ground and start molding.

Yep, I've heard the trick is to dry them until a little brittle....you can put them in plain or in a cheese cloth wrap, which makes clean up easier...a old fashion tea ball would work too....
Jon

P4Angels2

Some of the cones are really wet yet what's the best way to dry them?

Mugwump

spread em out on newspaper...or on a screen and blow dry em with your hair dryer...
Jon

ilroost

ok lets see a pict. of alder cones. i don't know what they look like

Mugwump

Jon

P4Angels2

ilroost

P4Angels2

They are so much smaller than a regular pine cone..

Mugwump

Hon, that code you're using for pictures is no good....you'll either need to save it to your hard drive, and then post as an attachment..or upload to Photobucket, or somewhere...and link it in...
Jon

Jo

Glad you found what you needed! What are you using the cones for?
Jo