• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 04:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Viable Spawn

Started by b125killer, April 12, 2014, 04:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

As some of you may know I have been having a hard time with my water. I pulled a spawn from the #2 koi pair a few days ago, today i have wigglers.  I was keeping quite about it I didn't want to jinx my self. It makes me happy to finally have a good spawn. Not the biggest I have had but I was just looking for a sign of life. I now know that my water is better and I can resume breeding, With a little luck maybe have something for the fall swaps.
Scott

LizStreithorst

I know just how it feels.  I've had water problems twice.  Any sign of wigglers is an excellent sign.  It means that things will get better.

I haven't brought it up before because folks here agree that 75 (I think) is a good TDS for breeding and they know more about breeding Angels than I ever will.   If the spawns continue to be small you might try lowering your TDS even more.  All the Discus breeders I know keep their TDS at 35.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

l wasn't too sure how low to go with the tds. I got mine at 150 for now. If I keep getting low spawns I will get it lower. I'm just happy for now knowing I'm on the right track.
Scott

Mugwump

I've seen, and had, viable spawns with a 8.0 PH and 200-300 tds's....Angels are not as delicate as discus regarding breeding readings.....150 tds should be fine, with any PH, as long as it's stable..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

QuoteAs some of you may know I have been having a hard time with my water. I pulled a spawn from the #2 koi pair a few days ago, today i have wigglers.

GREAT!
I know I fought with my water here. We are the LAST house inside city limits and on city water. When my water is bad...it IS BAD........when its "good" its just OK. Not sure what they do with our water, but some days outta the tap the chlorine smell is as strong as an indoor pool area. Ive talked to the water Dept, even asked for water quality reports the BEST they have come up with so far has been "the water was just tested and we are within specs" and "heres a copy of the latest water quality report".............dated 2011 ::)

I can sure share in your frustrations........and "warm and fuzzy" feelings of FINALLY getting somewhere, after things just go south for no apparent reason.

Quote from: Mugwump on April 12, 2014, 05:04:37 PM
I've seen, and had, viable spawns with a 8.0 PH and 200-300 tds's....Angels are not as delicate as discus regarding breeding readings.....150 tds should be fine, with any PH, as long as it's stable..

I should have stuck my TDS pen in a few tanks, and in a glass of MY tap water while you guys were here. Outta the tap it runs in the 300's tickling low to mid 400's and a PH of TYPICALLY 8 plus. And thats AFTER the city just recently spent MILLIONS on an RO system to 'fix' the water they send through the pipes to us. :(

You guys seen my fish dungeon on a GOOD day and things are starting to come in line....including spawns.
I almost hate to change anything because it all works to a degree now, but next up I want to start mixing RO water with my Tap water to help clean it up some.at least in the breeders tanks. It will be interesting to see how much difference softer water will make on some of the spawns that dont do to real well all the time....besides with warmer weather coming the 'scientists" at the water company are SURE to start changing things up any day now.

Mugwump

Zounds !!!    that water's like liquid rock....LOL....no wonder your past cichlids did so well...LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: EdKaz on April 12, 2014, 08:01:56 PM
QuoteAs some of you may know I have been having a hard time with my water. I pulled a spawn from the #2 koi pair a few days ago, today i have wigglers.

GREAT!
I know I fought with my water here. We are the LAST house inside city limits and on city water. When my water is bad...it IS BAD........when its "good" its just OK. Not sure what they do with our water, but some days outta the tap the chlorine smell is as strong as an indoor pool area. Ive talked to the water Dept, even asked for water quality reports the BEST they have come up with so far has been "the water was just tested and we are within specs" and "heres a copy of the latest water quality report".............dated 2011 ::)

I can sure share in your frustrations........and "warm and fuzzy" feelings of FINALLY getting somewhere, after things just go south for no apparent reason.

Quote from: Mugwump on April 12, 2014, 05:04:37 PM

I should have stuck my TDS pen in a few tanks, and in a glass of MY tap water while you guys were here. Outta the tap it runs in the 300's tickling low to mid 400's and a PH of TYPICALLY 8 plus. And thats AFTER the city just recently spent MILLIONS on an RO system to 'fix' the water they send through the pipes to us. :(

You guys seen my fish dungeon on a GOOD day and things are starting to come in line....including spawns.
I almost hate to change anything because it all works to a degree now, but next up I want to start mixing RO water with my Tap water to help clean it up some.at least in the breeders tanks. It will be interesting to see how much difference softer water will make on some of the spawns that dont do to real well all the time....besides with warmer weather coming the 'scientists" at the water company are SURE to start changing things up any day now.

When I measured my TDS out of the tap in Elgin it read 305. I measured my TDS here out of the TAP and it was 66.  Big difference and the fish are loving it.

Scott, great to hear your are having some success with those spawns.  Best of luck with them.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

That's almost the same thing I have been going through.  I tried so hard to not use ro water.  After putting in a few filters it helped but not to the degree I needed. I finally broke down and got the ro unit. I wish it was faster at making water. I'm still thinking of getting another ro filter and run the waste water through it. That would give me 150 gallons a day and cut my waste water down.
Thanks Willie, it has to be nice to have water that soft out of the tap. I have noticed a difference in the tanks with the ro water. They seem clearer than the aged water. Plus there not getting the calcium build up.
Scott

ilroost

Congrats Scott! The reason why i started keeping african's is because my well water is like liquid rock. Just perfect for them

b125killer

Thanks, Thats why so many people keep African's around here too. I think I'm in to deep to switch species now. Although I do have a few multifasciatus.
Scott

b125killer

I managed to kill off most of the spawn.  For some stupid reason I put a 7.5 watt heater in the tank. It only keeps the water temp about 5 degrees above ambient temp. The fish room went from 75 on Saturday to 65 today. I kind of forgot that there temps should be a lot  warmer. On the plus side a few wigglers managed too stick to the heater. There still doing ok. Next time I'll put the better heater in there. At least I can adjust it.
Scott