• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 07:29:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

New spawn

Started by Jo, November 12, 2012, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

I would think that the 18 will be to tight, especially if you are going to parent raise
Josh

Frank The Plumber

Minimally a 20 high. Make partitions out of fixture grating so you can separate the pair. If one becomes aggressive slip in the partition. In this way the hormones remain in the water from the other fish and they can become accustomed and used to their presence, if you pull the female you end up reintroducing her each time all anew. He will reject her and kill her. I use a tall bottom weighted plastic thick cichlid tank designed plant to apply some tank bocage o the pair could visually separate and not see each other at all times. This way if one is getting beat up a bit it can slip behind the plants and break visual contact. Fish are fairly dumb as to long or even short term memory, if one is beating the other up and gets distracted for a second or loses sight of the other it forgets why it was beating up the other fish and it may not continue the pursuit. Without this the fish just continues constant pressure upon the victim in vision until the victim is incapacitated.( dead) Sometimes the sight of another pair will strengthen the pair bond and the pair will ally better towards defense as a unit. A mirror can be used to make an opposing pair. If a fish is defending against another pair it tends to respect it's partner better as it realizes they are united against the threat.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Jo

Thanks Josh & Frank!
I'm gonna put them in 25 but not same female until she is healed.
I may put him in my other angel tank and see if he likes anyone in there.
Jo

Mugwump

Quote from: Jo on November 14, 2012, 04:45:32 PM
Thanks Josh & Frank!
I'm gonna put them in 25 but not same female until she is healed.
I may put him in my other angel tank and see if he likes anyone in there.

Good idea, I think that you'd have a better chance just letting him pair up ....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Ok well here is what I'm thinking about doing. I have several fish in my 46 that look like they may be females. I'm going to put him in with them instead of 55 because that is where damaged female is. She is already healing good. So don't want to risk her again. I also plan to move the 6 cherry barbs an 1 bn to the 10 gallon and just let them have the 10. I will but the 3 baby koi in 18 simpy because they are barely quarter size. So that should be enough room for them until I get some more tanks. Then if he picks a new female I will put them in 25, if he doesn't I will put him and the other 2 I know are females cause I've seen them laying eggs in the 25 and let him pick one of them. Let me know what you think.

Also want to say sorry if I'm a pain in the butt with all the questions. Don't really consider myself a beginner but you all seem to know exactly what you are doing and it is working I see it from pics of tanks and videos. So I'm really wanting to learn from all of you because you are exceling at fish keeping!
Jo

Jdmcfast

Sounds like a great plan to me. I know how you feel with all the tank shuffling I've been a lot of that myself
Josh

Jo

I plan to do it tomorrow. My hubby is working tomorrow so I'll have the whole house to myself to fiure it out.  :)
Jo

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Jo on November 16, 2012, 11:28:07 AM
I plan to do it tomorrow. My hubby is working tomorrow so I'll have the whole house to myself to fiure it out.  :)
Lol!
Josh

Jo

Well 2 of said tanks are in living room, I don't really have a fish room. He doesn't really appreciate it when I'm doing all the fish stuff and he can't hear TV. He likes the fish though. Discus and angelfish are his favorite.
Jo

Mugwump

Today's the day, huh?.....pics when you're done....??..I'd like to see some of your tanks.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

No pics yet. I only got partially done and broke a heater so now I have to wait on heater to finish. I ended up putting Big Al as I call him back in 55 and same female is following him around and they stay together mostly. It did bring out another male and they have been fighting a little. Big Al is not after female though just other male. So may put those 2 in 25 tomorrow when I get the heater.  It is the dark pinoy that is the male. Don't know if he wants same female or what. I did go to petco today, before I broke heater to get a 10 gallon for my cherry barbs and I bought a amazon sword and a melon sword and the guy that waited on me gave me another plant when I asked what it was he said he didn't know no tag and he'd give it to me if I got other 2 so I did. LOL Also they had Harlequin Rasbora and I asked him about those to go with cherry barbs and he said he'd give me 3 to see if I like them or not  :o so I said well I'll buy 3 too. He was such a great kid! So have them in Big Al's 10 for quarantine with plants.
Jo

Mugwump

Nice...you scored a good deal.....
Jon

Jo

Yes I did. Still not done though. Went to Petco had to get a crappy heater and then we went running around out to eat yada yada yada got nothing done! I will do some tonight though.
Jo