• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 146
Total: 146

New spawn

Started by Jo, November 12, 2012, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo

My same angel pair laid again on Saturday. For some reason the male is really beating up the female a good size section of her tail is missing and you can see places in her side where he bit her. Is this normal behavior? I don't remember my other pairs doing this. Is there something I should do?
Jo

Mugwump

yes, get her butt out of there before he kills her....he wants to raise, or dominate the tank....it's odd, but does happen...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

if he isn't successful with this batch of eggs, should I put another female in with him, or same one?
Jo

Mugwump

I'd try to re-pair her, if she's ok....I put him in a pair off tank someplace and see if he's better with another female....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

You don't think it is because the tank is a 10 gallon do you? I just don't have another place for a pair right now. Everything else I have has gravel and plants in the tank. Would a pair be ok in an 18 gallon planted tank. I have 6 cherry barbs, 2 small angels, and bn in this tank.
Jo

Mugwump

yep, crowding may do that....they need to be separated before he destroys her...get creative with what you have.....
Jon

Jo

I put her in the 55 he is in 10 alone.
Jo

Mugwump

cool, watch her close..if she's wounded and vulnerable, the others may go after her too....
Jon

Jo

I have been and went and got some stress coat for the tank... so far she is good. I think she just wonders why I took her away from babies.
Jo

Mugwump

Well, if he has caviar, let em spawn again, and take him out....
Jon

Jo

He ate them today. They were gone when I went home for lunch. I have major plans for tank changes and then will see if he picks another mate. I just want to let her heal for now. These are the 2 I have that look like silvers but you showed me they are zebra. I'd really like silver's they are my favorite. That may not be what I get. LOL
Jo

Mugwump

If those Zebras are +/Z....then you'll get 25% Silvers +/+, 25% Zebra Z/Z, and 25% Zebras +/Z, with a spawning....Silvers/Zebra
Jon

Jo

The female is one I got from donh on TaffII and the mom was silver and dad was zebra. I don't have any history on the male.
Jo

Mugwump

Quote from: Jo on November 13, 2012, 06:15:02 PM
The female is one I got from donh on TaffII and the mom was silver and dad was zebra. I don't have any history on the male.

In that case, if dad's a Silver, you'll get more Silvers than Zebras...
Jon

Jo

I think he is Zebra that looks like silver mostly. I thought he was a silver and posted pic and you told me he was zebra to go look at pics and I did. I got one of my other stands from my FIL last night and am going to move everyone around. You think the 18 gallon is a big enough breeding tank same dimensions as 10 just tall. I also have a 25. That I have baby Koi angels in they are quarter size if that. I could put them in 18 and him in 25 with couple of different girls if that would be best?
Jo