• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 08:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145

Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

Started by BallAquatics, November 09, 2012, 08:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Barb

Let's see, you could put them in a tank with fluorescent glassfish, zebra fish, and "black" skirt tetras.  I see these all at my lfs, even WalMart has them.  PetSmart too.  Just disgraceful to do that to a fish.
Barb

Mugwump

Can't say that I'm a fan of the 'modified' fish either......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I wouldn't be at all surprised if these become very popular.  If they are like the genetically modified Danios, they will breed true... you are not allowed to sell any of the off spring though. 

Dennis

Jo

Jo

Mir

They have fluorescing glassfish too? I guess that's sort of a good thing: I thought they were all painted. Are these angels made by GloFish too?
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mir on November 09, 2012, 01:13:47 PM
Are these angels made by GloFish too?

The article says, "They were created through a joint project between Taiwan's Academia Sinica, National Taiwan Ocean University and Jy Lin, a private biotechnology company".

I believe that Jy Lin is the company that holds the patent for most of the FluoroFish/GloFish.

Dennis

Mugwump

Looks like short or missing gill plates...??....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Are they injecting them with something or are they really that color. I was thinking it was like the fish they inject with a color.
Jo

BallAquatics

Quote from: Jo on November 09, 2012, 02:27:52 PM
Are they injecting them with something or are they really that color.

They are really that color!  The fluorescent color in the fish is produced by a fluorescent protein gene, which creates the fluorescence that can be seen when looking at the fish. The fluorescent protein genes occur naturally, and are derived from marine organisms.  For over a decade, fluorescent fish have been relied upon by scientists worldwide to better understand important questions in genetics, molecular biology, and vertebrate development. Fluorescent fish have been particularly helpful in understanding cellular disease and development, as well as cancer and gene therapy.

The fact that they sell some to hobbyists is just icing on the cake so to speak.

Dennis

b125killer

I don't like it. I also think that they could become popular. 
Scott

BallAquatics

I'm a bit 'old school', but to me, these are what Angel fish are supposed to look like.....

If and when I ever get the fish room completed, I have plans for a 6 foot tank just like that..... mom & pop with the young'uns

Dennis

BillT

Here is a link about how these were made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN6P6kFjrjM

The glofish zebrafish were made in a more traditional way, by collecting freshly fertilized eggs and injecting DNA encoding a fluorescent protein in to them. In some cases the DNA gets inserted in to a chromosome and can then be inherited in subsequent generations. Some of these are more stable than others.

The method described in the video involves knocking out the fish, injecting the DNA into the area where the eggs are (through the syringe needle), and then applying electic voltage pulses with the injection need as one electrode and the needle they touch the fish's side with as the other electrode. A sudden quick voltage change can cause very small temporary holes in cell membranes which allow the DNA to enter the egg cell.

There are now many different colors of fluorescent proteins. Some are natural proteins from corals and things like Dennis said and some have been engineered to emit different wavelengths (colors) by a very clever guy who works on fluorescent proteins.

Several years ago when I ran a big zebrafish research facility, the guy who was trying to arrange things to distribute these in the US (Alan Blake) called me several times about this. Among other things, he was interested in making a tetraploid line of ZF so he could breed it to the glofish. This would yield triploids which are sterile. Although you are not supposed to breed glofish people are doing it all the time and selling them in aquabid occasionally. This was expected.

We were potentially interested in using these fish to get fluorescent cells form an embryo to transplant into non-fluorescent fish embryo. In this way you can watch them (in a microscope) move around in the developing fish and see what they become.

Jo

Jo