• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 05:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

new breeding tank

Started by b125killer, November 07, 2012, 07:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

How do you collect the rain water? Is there anything you need to do to use the water?
Scott

BallAquatics

In years past, I just collected it in buckets set out in the rain.  Several years ago I found myself needing larger quantities so I started collecting from the roof of the fish room.  It is diverted into 5 rubber maid trash cans and then pumped and filtered into the fish room.

If you are located in a big city or other area of high air pollution, rain may not be an option for you.  Here's a link to an article by the Skepitical Aquarist about using rain to soften hard water.  He raises the point that since there is no money to be made from recommending the use of rain it is frowned upon by most hobby professionals.  Perhaps the rain barrel manufactures and organic gardeners can change some of this??

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/rainwater

Dennis

b125killer

I got the tank set up and ready to go. I Just used aged tap water. I was going to do the RO but I would have to go buy water for that tank all the time.  I have my platies in there for now. when I figure out who I want to breed I'll take them out.  I need to get some plants for it. and breeding slate. good thing the GCCA swap is almost here.
Scott

b125killer

I added the finishing touches to the tank. Now I need to decide what I want to put in there. I have a marble and zebra pair that have spawned for me a couple of times in a community tank. I'm sure that they will do it again for me. I also have a chocolate smokey male and if the philippine blue is a female I would like to breed them. I'm not to sure about her. It might be a him. It was posturing with the other males in the tank. I know that the smokey is a male I seen his daddy parts.   

Scott

Jo

Jo

b125killer

Scott

Jo

So do you use gravel in most of your breeding tanks?
Jo

b125killer

This is the first one I set up to breed angels.
Scott

Jo

Well it is beautiful! I'm a little pea green.  ;)
Jo