• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 08:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 260
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 248
Total: 249

new breeding tank

Started by b125killer, November 07, 2012, 07:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I'm ready to start breeding angels. I'm going to get a 30 gallon tank running soon. I have have everything in place to set it up. I was wondering if there is anything special I should do when I get the tank running or should I just set it up like any other tank.   
Scott

Mugwump

If you want to blend some R/O in it, it won't hurt....other than that, same as usual, remember to acclimate the new pair to the water....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 07, 2012, 07:52:03 AM
If you want to blend some R/O in it....

Or clean rain water if you don't have RO.  These days, most good LFS have RO at a reasonable price.

Dennis

b125killer

what ratio would you use for RO?
Scott

BallAquatics

You need to know what your tap water parameters are and go from there.

My Ohio well water is so hard I use a 19:1 ratio in my 20 gallon longs - 19 parts RO/Rain water to 1 part tap/well water.  The softer your tap water is, the less RO you would use.

Dennis

Mugwump

If someone doesn't have R/O...Wally World sells the machine water for about 28cents a gallon..take your own jugs.....R/O doesn't store long because it's so pure....nothing in it to combat bacteria breakdown..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 07, 2012, 09:26:58 AM
.....R/O doesn't store long because it's so pure....nothing in it to combat bacteria breakdown..

WOW!  That just went right over my head.....  explain please.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 07, 2012, 09:54:58 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 07, 2012, 09:26:58 AM
.....R/O doesn't store long because it's so pure....nothing in it to combat bacteria breakdown..

Dennis

Puttin R/O in buckets or jugs won't keep as well as tap water....R/O doesn't have any chlorine,etc to combat bacteria....by itself....even if you aerate it, I'd use in a day or so...I guess it 's better said to not bring home 30 gal jugs of R/O or filtered water and keep it sitting around for a week....

Jon

BallAquatics

I see.  My first though would be that since RO is free of nutrients, contaminates, minerals and microbes, if stored properly, it would last virtually forever.

Dennis

b125killer

what if you use a water distributor like Culligans? ? Will that water last longer seeing as it's sealed when you get it?
What PH do you try to get for breeding?
Scott

Mugwump

Sealed should alright...but expensive....aged tap is cheaper....test your water out of the tap, PH,etc...then aerate it 24hrs and check again after it's degased....PH in 7's is fine...remember stable PH is what you're looking for....Angels will adapt.....
Jon

BillT

QuoteQuote from: Mugwump on Today at 07:26:58 AM

Dennis
Posted by: Mugwump
? on: Today at 07:26:58 AM ?

Insert Quote

If someone doesn't have R/O...Wally World sells the machine water for about 28cents a gallon..take your own jugs.....R/O doesn't store long because it's so pure....nothing in it to combat bacteria breakdown..

I don't know about that, but very pure water will be much more aggressive in attacking (dissolving) anything metalic it comes in contact with.

Very pure water also has virtually no buffering. You could probably change the pH by spitting in it.
I would guess that any bacteria that grow in there will will produce metabolic acids and lower the pH (more acidic).

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on November 07, 2012, 06:38:02 PM
QuoteQuote from: Mugwump on Today at 07:26:58 AM

Dennis
Posted by: Mugwump
? on: Today at 07:26:58 AM ?

Insert Quote

I don't know about that, but very pure water will be much more aggressive in attacking (dissolving) anything metalic it comes in contact with.

Very pure water also has virtually no buffering. You could probably change the pH by spitting in it.
I would guess that any bacteria that grow in there will will produce metabolic acids and lower the pH (more acidic).

Exactly....if it isn't sealed, it makes contact with air....doesn't take long to sour...your jugs would also need to be almost sterile before filling, not much chance of that either....stuff in the air, dirty hands, an unclean jug,etc...boomba...if you use it fairly quickly it goes into the tank bio system and is absorbed nicely...no problems....
Jon

BallAquatics

LOL,  I'm glad I use rain water and that it works so well for me.

Every time I have checked about getting an RO system, the manufacturer says it will be very costly to operate due to my very hard well water.  With all this talk about RO being hard to store, it's just all the more reason to stay away from it.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 07, 2012, 08:16:28 PM
LOL,  I'm glad I use rain water and that it works so well for me.

Every time I have checked about getting an RO system, the manufacturer says it will be very costly to operate due to my very hard well water.  With all this talk about RO being hard to store, it's just all the more reason to stay away from it.

Dennis

I think most folks blend their R/O which makes it very storable...plus, the R/O is 'ready to use'..no need to store it.....look into renting a unit to try, they're cheap and then you'll get a better idea...try for at least a 100gpd unit.....
Jon