• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:51:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 125
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125

Water chemistry

Started by Mugwump, November 07, 2012, 06:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

What's everyone's water like where they are...??...Mine's a neutral PH of about 7.0-7.2...tds's are low/mid 100's...I don't check much else....I do have a 100gpd R/O system for blending when I want to get a little better water for some pairs....the PH does rise a bit to the mid 7's, but is stable there.....

anyone take water testing further??...why?..plants?...just curious..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm not sure what my tds's are. My PH is around 7.4 How do you check your tds?
Scott

LizStreithorst

Mine is pH6.8 from the tap and 7.2 or 7.4 after aging (I can't remember which been a long time since I tested). gH 0, kH 4.5,  uS 235.  I need RO to breed.  I use aged tap for everything else.  I only test when I'm lowering the conductivity of a breeding tank.  I only test for conductivity as it's the only thing that matters.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on November 07, 2012, 06:34:31 AM
I'm not sure what my tds's are. My PH is around 7.4 How do you check your tds?

TDS's are the total dissolved solids. It's better for most pairs to have water with low TDS's for spawns. It's an indicator of hardness. Angels come from water with TDS's of about 75-125 ppm TDS's(hardness)...fertilization is better will lower numbers.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2012, 06:36:51 AM
Mine is pH6.8 from the tap and 7.2 or 7.4 after aging (I can't remember which been a long time since I tested). gH 0, kH 4.5,  uS 235.  I need RO to breed.  I use aged tap for everything else.  I only test when I'm lowering the conductivity of a breeding tank.  I only test for conductivity as it's the only thing that matters.

Righto Liz, that's a good way to test to...
Conductivity is measured in "Siemens" and these measurements are achieved by use of an electronic device appropriately named a conductivity meter. Water that is low in dissolved ions can measure ten microsiemens less.

Jon

Jdmcfast

I am familiar with tds readings but not siemens are they the same/equal readings or what is the difference and is there a common conversion formula between the two?
Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on November 07, 2012, 07:00:53 AM
I am familiar with tds readings but not siemens are they the same/equal readings or what is the difference and is there a common conversion formula between the two?

No they aren't the same. They are two different measuring methods that compliment each other. A low conductivity level in micro siemens will normally reflect a low(er) tds level...that's all...
Jon

LizStreithorst

My understanding, and I may have it wrong, is that TDS measures ALL disolved solids while uS measures only disolved mineral salts.  I think that EC gives the more acurate reading, but once you know your water either will work.  On my meter TDS is around 1/2 uS.

b125killer

What do you use to measure the EC?
Scott

LizStreithorst

It's a Hanna meter.  Let me go check the model number...It says HI 98311.

b125killer

Why is it important to lower the EC? Is that what the RO is for?
Scott

LizStreithorst

Some people are lucky and have naturally soft water the the fish will produce in.  What happens when the water is too hard is that it makes the eggs shells hard and the babies can't break through them.  They are trapped inside the egg and die.  RO removes the minerals. 

BallAquatics

A TDS meter typically displays the TDS in parts per million (ppm).  You can simply multiply microsiemens by 0.64 to obtain the ppm.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on November 07, 2012, 07:35:29 AM
Why is it important to lower the EC? Is that what the RO is for?

How would you know if it' needs adjusting if you don't measure to find out where you stand currently??

Like Liz stated, one test is a little different than the other...I use a TDS meter...it tells all your 'sins'...but testing EC is just as effective..it'll show you a 'range' of TDS's.....you're never going to be exact but need to know the approximate perameters of your water
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 07, 2012, 07:56:46 AM
A TDS meter typically displays the TDS in parts per million (ppm).  You can simply multiply microsiemens by 0.64 to obtain the ppm.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis and Liz.....good stuff.....
Jon