• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Breeding my Sterbai

Started by Ron Sower, November 07, 2012, 01:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Hello Gang..!

I have a group of 6 young Sterbai cats.  I want to breed them but have limited tanks and tank sizes.  The tanks I have available are 5 & 6 gallons.  What is the smallest aquarium size any of you have spawned yours in?  And do you think it's worth my time to attempt spawning them in one of these tanks?

Tanks for any advice,
Ron
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Rjb3

The smallest tank I ever spawned a cory in was a ten. It was holding 30 C. venezualanus and they spawned at six months old. My new C. aeneus albinos also spawned in a ten. I received them and put them in a ten to keep an eye on them. They were in there just an hour and spawned. I know how it goes with tank space, but a twenty long would be more like it.

Mugwump

I agree that 20 longs are the ideal cory spawn tank....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Thanks a bunch for your replies folks.  Hmmm!  Just no way I can get a 10 or 20 in here currently and I can't make any changes.  I'll give it a try over the next few months and see what happens.  I'll let you know.  And if it happens I won't brag if you promise that if it doesn't happen you won't say "I told you so!"

Have a good day!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

LOL...ok...try turning your 5gal's or 10gal's lengthwise front to back...that'll make some space..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

LOL Jon,
It's not like I have a tank rack set up any longer...!  I used to do the 5's,10's, and 20's that way at my former home where I had my fishroom/office.  But now, alas and alack (what does alack mean anyway?), I'm only in a 12 x 12 den!  Not complaining though...just rethinking and redirecting my hobby...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Ah, I see...Hmmmm....tank divider in a larger tank??
Jon

Ron Sower

Moving forward....they'll have their own 6g tank and share it with the tiger shrimps!!!  Flourite substrate and several small bogwoods with Java ferns and anubias on them...maybe a bolbitus too!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 08, 2012, 12:29:12 AM
LOL Jon,
..... alack (what does alack mean anyway?), .....

used to express sorrow or regret

Ron Sower

Thank you!  I've been educated a little further!  This old guy can learn something new after all!  Alack, I guess I could have looked it up, right? 
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron