• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 05:36:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 195
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 174
Total: 175

outdoor grow out

Started by Mugwump, February 05, 2014, 02:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I've been sketching a plan to make a pvc frame shelter for the patio area. I'm tinkering with adding some large tubs/vats for grow out to be put there. I like the idea, so far.... ;D...we have an old light weight patio cover/tarp that could fit over the frame, providing some shelter from severe elements...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

You mean to keep fish through the winters too?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

The problem with it for me is that you'll only be able to observe the fish from the top.  Angels cannot be evaluated from the top.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 05, 2014, 04:00:58 PM
You mean to keep fish through the winters too?

Nope, just maybe 4-5 mos.....that'll do..

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 05, 2014, 04:13:31 PM
The problem with it for me is that you'll only be able to observe the fish from the top.  Angels cannot be evaluated from the top.

It's not too bad, with white rock or a sandy/loam bottom you can make em out...plus I'd just net a few now and then for evaluation ....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Got it.  Now that makes sense to me. 

I'm going to set some large & small aquaria up outside in the shelter of the back of my house this summer. I'm planning on getting some native fish species that I used to seine from the creeks at home in Roanoke, Va when I was a kid. They would probably survive out there through our mild winters here too.

I wasn't thinking about growouts, but in essence, that's what happened last year when I threw a bunch of plants from my CPD & Sulawesi Rice Fish tanks. 

Thanks, Mugs, for the new inspiration!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

... ;D....we'll throw plants in there too.... ;D
Jon

P4Angels2

The outdoor pond that we have was awesome for throwing out excess frog bit or duckweed!! even tho it seemed to be to shaded the stuff would get at least a footlong root system on it by the end of the summer!!!

P4Angels

For us in WA it does not get that warm enough for any warm water fish.  The temps never get above low 80's here. We have talked about making a green house, but that would be for aquarium plants...
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...