• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 04:08:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102

koi spawn

Started by b125killer, February 05, 2014, 08:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Yep, something like that.....with sediment in one, then carbon...even a couple, dependent on how bad your water is...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I got the tds meter in. It's reading 380 in the tanks and 350 in my aged water and out of the tap. I hooked up the little r.v. filter and now it's reading 300 out of the tap. I guess I'll get the other filter next. I'm going to use the r.v. filter first then the other filter next. If that don't work I'll get a r/o system.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on February 08, 2014, 07:09:32 PM
I got the tds meter in. It's reading 380 in the tanks and 350 in my aged water and out of the tap. I hooked up the little r.v. filter and now it's reading 300 out of the tap. I guess I'll get the other filter next. I'm going to use the r.v. filter first then the other filter next. If that don't work I'll get a r/o system.

I'll bet that little r v filter blows out quickly....they aren't made for volume water filtering...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I bet it does too. It said it last three months of normal use. I'm sure there not thinking of the volume of water I use. Plus it's not really doing that much to filter water.
Scott

b125killer

I finally got a filter system hooked up. I cut my tds almost in half. It around 220 now. I should be able to start getting asome good spawns now. ;D if not I can always add more filtration to the system. 
Scott

Mugwump

Sounds like you're on the right track.......bring on the fry... ;D
Jon

b125killer

I like the filter set up too. I can add more filters if I want and there is a r/o membrane I could get for it too. The hole system cost me less than $50 dollars. That's with the hookups and hoses I used.
Scott

Mugwump

Any more spawns?....the water should be much better now.. ;D
Jon

EdKaz

I also used the filter housings (3 stages) to filter my tap water for water changes. First is an OMNI filter (Rs14)10 micron sediment filter,followed by a 5 micron carbon (OMNIFilter T01) Filter, and finally a .5 micron carbon block (Culligan D-30a or Omnifilter CB1) filter.

Certainly not the BEST way, but using the three filters allowed me to run straight outta the tap to do 10-20%  every other day water changes (with reasonably cleaned up water) on the 30 plus tanks of angelfish I had going fairly quickly.

With just a 1000 gal rating and  $13-$15 a piece for the .5 carbon block filters it was a bit pricey,but my water here gets spooky at RANDOM times and the setup gave me a lil piece of mind without lots of hassles.....and the fish kinda liked it.

Mugwump

That's pretty much what I'm using too. Ed.....works great, and the waters pristine....I may add another double sediment/carbon unit in the back room to run thru it too.....water outfits have a way of getting you with the surprise hydrant flushes, and water pipe replacement up here....
Jon

b125killer

My tds is still too high. Around 300 ppm in the tanks. I'm getting a R/O system. Just waiting on the mail lady to bring it. I'm only going to use the R/O for the breeders. I should be set after this next round of filtering. I was also thinking of using the wast water from the R/O unit to do water changes for the neolamprologus multifasciatus, They like hard water. I will check out the wast water first to see if it's okay to use.  I go through so much water as it is. I don't like the ideal of wasting water. 
Scott

EdKaz

QuoteI was also thinking of using the wast water from the R/O unit to do water changes for the neolamprologus multifasciatus, They like hard water.

There is an angelfish breeder  in the Chicago area that has said he uses his RO waste water for his angel fry/juvie tanks.....something about all the EXTRA minerals etc. "good for the fish"?

If I tried that out here, I'd be just as well off throwing rocks at the fish, or filling the tanks with rocks :(