• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

koi spawn

Started by b125killer, February 05, 2014, 08:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

My Number two Pair spawned Yesterday! They decided to spawn as I was getting ready for work. Mommy is doing ok at tending. Daddy is beating the snot out of a young pleco in there. There was a few bad eggs this morning but it looks like she was trying to take care of them. I'm not holding out much hope. I have had a few spawns go bad this winter. I think my water is off. I ordered a TDS meter. should be here today. Then I can decide where to go from there I hope. 
Scott

Mugwump

Congrat's on the spawn....perhaps they'll raise and make you happy?... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Good luck Scott.  I hope it works out for you.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

Thanks guys, it's 24 hours later. Dad still guarding from the pleco and me. Mommy has cleaned all but three bad eggs off the slate. she is also fanning them like crazy now. ;D Still trying not to get my hopes up.
Scott

LizStreithorst

They're doing great! 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Are those some of mine?....if they are, they're siblings have been raising...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

They ate them. :(  It looks like the first pair is getting ready to spawn. tubes are down and cleaning the slate.
They are some of yours Jon. I'm still not to sure but I think the water is off. Still waiting for my meter too.
Here is a pic of number 2 pair Liz. I wasn't able to get one with there eggs.
Scott

shatanka

Sorry about the spawn being eaten Scott. maybe you can pull some from their next spawn. NICE LOOKING Koi!!! 

Mugwump

That stinks....did your flash yellow/gold the color up....??...all their siblings are much orange'r...???..
Jon

b125killer

Thanks, I have pulled a few spawns from different pairs. one was a proven pair of St. Isabel/Rio Negro, all went bad. I'm thinking that my winter water is out of whack. Last winter I had the same problem. I just didn't know enough to make sure it wasn't something I was doing. This year I'm sure it's nothing I'm doing wrong.
The lighting in that tank isn't the greatest for taking pics. I'll get a pic of number 1 pair later. They have better lighting and background colors to help the orange pop.
Scott

Mugwump

You might be able to cure the water issue with a filtering set up like I have....it's cheap and works exceptionally well......
Jon

b125killer

I did got a r.v. filter last weekend. it hooks right up to the hose. http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?prodID=10059#.UvOchPnlapA
I just haven't hooked it up yet. I was waiting for the TDS meter to get in.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on February 06, 2014, 08:31:29 AM
I did got a r.v. filter last weekend. it hooks right up to the hose. http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?prodID=10059#.UvOchPnlapA
I just haven't hooked it up yet. I was waiting for the TDS meter to get in.

That's pretty much for drinking water, etc. at 100 micron..but test it for chlorine and TDS's, it'll be better than what you've got for sure.... You'll likely need something inline with carbon, and sediment filters @ 5-10 microns......that cleans it up pretty good.....
Jon