• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 06:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154

Shipping. Harumph.

Started by LizStreithorst, November 05, 2012, 01:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I just shipped out a box of Angels to a guy in PA.  The fish are right at breeding age so they're big.  I bagged 2 per 8" bag and the box was full.  I used O2 and Bag buddies.

The buyer and I wanted them to arrive on Wed.  My heat packs are good for 48 hrs, so that would work.  The post office said that they wouldn't get there until Thursday using priority.  My only choice was to overnight them.  It cost $116.25.  I called the buyer and told him that he wouldn't be happy.  He wasn't.  At least he understood that it was the only choice.

I detest shipping.  I simply detest it.  I detest everything about it.  My signature on another fourm used to be, "shipping is cursed".

Thanks for letting me rant.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

We've all been there..and yep, sometimes it sucks...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I sent him the best I had.  I even sent him the ones that I wanted to keep for myself.  I know this guy from the Discus forums.  He has superb taste in fish.  As long as they arrive healthy, which they should, and he is satified with them, which he should be, I'll be happy.

I'm going to the fish room now where it's warm and humid.  I will have a beer and try to chill.

BallAquatics

WOW, $116.25 shipping.  That would have been a deal breaker for me I'm afraid.

I did pay $60 shipping for some freshwater dwarf shrimp from a German breeder, (in Germany), once.

Dennis

Jdmcfast

Ouch hopefully he bought enough to make it worth it!
Though I'm sure they are beautiful fish!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

LizStreithorst

I paid $135. to have a single Discus shipped from California.  The fish itself cost $150.  When I got the fish, I didn't like it.  I sold it for $150.  Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

Frank The Plumber

To the south and south east I use US postal as they can get fish to you in two days almost any where. North east I use UPS ground from Chicago as it arrives in two days ground. Out west I use US postal as it arrives in remote places like Idaho and Wyoming in the middle of Buu Fuu in two or three days priority. Over the mountains I use UPS  two day or US postal priority depending upon the city.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on November 05, 2012, 02:29:04 PM
To the south and south east I use US postal as they can get fish to you in two days almost any where. North east I use UPS ground from Chicago as it arrives in two days ground. Out west I use US postal as it arrives in remote places like Idaho and Wyoming in the middle of Buu Fuu in two or three days priority. Over the mountains I use UPS  two day or US postal priority depending upon the city.

I think the problem here may have been due to the hurricane and the noreaster coming in.  I read the small print on my recipt.  It said that delays may occour due to the weather there.  He didn't know, and I didn't know.  If the post office lady had told me that, I'd have brought the fish home and retanked them to ship next week.

I most only ship Discus.  FedEx priority overnight is the only way to go with Discus because the fish themselves are so valuable.  It costs a bundle.  Here lately, some breeders offer FedEx Priority Overnight for cheap.  They inflate the price of the fish to make up the difference.  Not honest IMO, but if it works for them who am I to say.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 05, 2012, 03:04:39 PM
They inflate the price of the fish to make up the difference.  Not honest IMO, but if it works for them who am I to say.

I've done that with some of my AquaBid sales, but rather than being inflated prices they usually cheaper.  For example, I sell CPD's @ $4.00 each with $15.00 shipping, but I can sell a 6 pack of these for $36.50 with free shipping.

I know I can get 8 of these fish into a Priority Regional Rate 'A' box, (that's what I ship in the 6 pack - 8 fish), and send them to the west coast including packing materials for around $12.50.  So I can list them at $36.50.  When selling each @ $4.00, I never know how many the buyer will want so I have a $15.00 shipping charge.

I hate to get screwed on shipping charges and simply won't do it to others, but I do need to cover my expenses.

Dennis

BallAquatics

I think the problem here may have been due to the hurricane and the noreaster coming in.  I read the small print on my recipt.  It said that delays may occour due to the weather there.  He didn't know, and I didn't know.  If the post office lady had told me that, I'd have brought the fish home and retanked them to ship next week.

That's interesting.  If bad weather is slowing Priority, why would overnight not be affected too?  I hope you do get overnight service for that amount of money, and they don't show up on Friday and say with the storm problems that's the best we could do.

They have posted this as to known problems.....

http://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/welcome.htm

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I'm not smart enough to do it that way.  I am hugely smart with right brained stuff, but a retardo when it comes to left brained.  If I shipped a lot I might learn.  As it is, when I ship fish I comunicate with the buyer and get a feeling about him.   If I feel good about the buyer I tell him that when I estimate shipping I always get screwed.  I tell him that the only way I can do it is to ship and then tell him what it cost.  He can reimburse me after the fish arrive alive.  If I get a bad feeling, I won't ship.  This is a reason I don't sell on Aquabid. 

I know that my way is not the right way for making money from fish.  In fact, my way is the worst way.  It's my way.  I'm just not smart enough to do it any other way.

I will say one thing in my way's favor.  I have not yet been screwed.  Everyone has lived up to the agreement.   I don't expect that this guy will screw me, but you never know.  He will either pay me or not.  If he does, he has a friend.  If not, he has an enemy.  I make for a hard enemy.  Ask around...

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 05, 2012, 04:02:52 PM

That's interesting.  If bad weather is slowing Priority, why would overnight not be affected too?  I hope you do get overnight service for that amount of money, and they don't show up on Friday and say with the storm problems that's the best we could do.

They have posted this as to known problems.....

http://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/welcome.htm

Dennis

All I know was that Overnight came with a guarantee.  If the fish arrive late I get my shipping money back.  Priority, she said. would arrive Thursday and no money back guarantee.  I did what I thought best.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 05, 2012, 04:21:50 PM
I know that my way is not the right way for making money from fish.  In fact, my way is the worst way.  It's my way.

You are being too hard on yourself Liz.  In a perfect world, we would all ship using 'your' way.  There can hardly be any hard feelings when you charge just what was charged to you!

I try to run a very tight ship, but I still get people who think I'm getting over on them when they get a box with the postage marked at $10.95 and I charged $15.00.  I guess I'm the last person on earth to know where to get free breather bags and free sheets of styro foam for insulation and free packing tape and.....

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 05, 2012, 04:26:25 PM
All I know was that Overnight came with a guarantee.

Sounds like you are covered then.  I've never used Express and thought I heard from someone that they didn't guarantee over night delivery any more.  In this case, I hope what I heard was wrong!

Keep us posted as to how this plays out please.  I'm a big fan of the USPS and always like to hear stories of how they did a good job.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I hope what you heard was wong, too.  She told me that It was guaranteed to arrive tomorrow.  If it does not and they don't refund my money, USPS has a hell woman to deal with.  I paid $116. 25 to make sure these fish arrived alive.