• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 156
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 141
Total: 142

USPS shipping changes

Started by Mugwump, January 15, 2014, 08:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Saw this over on Aquaboards....thought I'd post it here too......comments????

https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...l/updt_001.htm

Packaging of Live Animals
The Postal Service will revise DMM standards to clarify that USPS-produced packaging, including Flat Rate containers, is not eligible for shipping live animals.

and then about 4/5ths of the way down:

9.3.10 Packaging
[Revise 9.3.10 by adding a new last sentence to read as follows:]
***USPS-produced packaging, including Flat Rate containers, is not eligible for shipping live animals.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Just some AB "stiring-the-pot" if you ask me.  First off that link doesn't go to any document on the USPS website, and if you search the USPS website the last update for Priority and Live Animal or Plant shipping last year doesn't cover anything new.....

Just chatted with the Post Office lady this morning, they all know I ship lots of fish and nothing was mentioned.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 15, 2014, 11:17:23 AM
Just some AB "stiring-the-pot" if you ask me.  First off that link doesn't go to any document on the USPS website, and if you search the USPS website the last update for Priority and Live Animal or Plant shipping last year doesn't cover anything new.....

Just chatted with the Post Office lady this morning, they all know I ship lots of fish and nothing was mentioned.

Dennis

You're likely right.....the page is gone now.....it was there last night tho....I read it.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

I wonder what the thinking is behind this.....  You can still ship, you just can't use their packaging so basically you can't send anything for a Flat-Rate because you must use their Flat-Rate boxes to get the discounted Flat-Rate fee.

I don't mark my boxes so I guess it won't affect my shipping either way. 

When I first started sending fish through the mail, I always marked the boxes with Live Fish, Perishable, etc.  My local Postmaster told me if I would leave the marks off, the packages would be delivered quicker, because they must hand sort anything marked as containing live animals.  I stopped marking the boxes and almost 100% of my boxes are delivered in less than 48 hours and I have fewer losses too.

If it didn't cost so much, I'd just send everything FedEx Overnight.  Hell anybody can package fish to go overnight, it's quite a bit more work to package them properly for a 2 day trip.

Dennis

Mugwump

Heck, the sloshing would give it away....but I agree, boxes that I don't mark..have less problems....go figure....??
Jon

BillT

Breather bags don't slosh.
Guess you people with big fish use normal bags with air in them.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on January 15, 2014, 02:14:57 PM
Breather bags don't slosh.
Guess you people with big fish use normal bags with air in them.

Pretty much, Bill....however, small fry, dime/nickel size, breather bags work very well with...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I've never sold Angels at that size.  Come May I may need to look more closely at breather bags,
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 15, 2014, 02:34:58 PM
Come May I may need to look more closely at breather bags,

The best article I've seen about their use is in the June 2011 issue of TFH.  Its called "Breathable Bags:  No Air?  No Problem!" by Anthony Terceira.  Ted Judy recently put out a video about them, but it is painfully obvious that Ted doesn't know how to properly use them to ship fish.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

That cracked me up.  If I can't figure it out for myself, I will not ask the advice of Ted Judy. 
Always move forward. Never look back.