• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 07:21:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 226
Total: 227

Stupid DirectTV......

Started by Mugwump, January 14, 2014, 05:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..now the weather channel's gone....cripes, it's all about the dollar...this stinks.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

When I ran the charter boat on Lake Michigan I needed quick accurate weather forecasts. If I had a charter that day, I'd listen to the forecast on a scanner before I left the house. On the boat it was on the marine radio.

The National Weather Service broadcasts continuous weather information 24-7. All you need is your local frequency from the nearest transmitter site. Here it's on 162.4 MHz from a site in Sullivan, Wi. The best part is, no commercials, no Storm Stories, etc. Just weather. You will need a programmable police scanner.

Looks like your DeKalb frequency is 162.55 and the transmitter site is in Romeoville.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/stations.php?State=IL

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on January 14, 2014, 06:25:49 AM
When I ran the charter boat on Lake Michigan I needed quick accurate weather forecasts. If I had a charter that day, I'd listen to the forecast on a scanner before I left the house. On the boat it was on the marine radio.

The National Weather Service broadcasts continuous weather information 24-7. All you need is your local frequency from the nearest transmitter site. Here it's on 162.4 MHz from a site in Sullivan, Wi. The best part is, no commercials, no Storm Stories, etc. Just weather. You will need a programmable police scanner.

Looks like your DeKalb frequency is 162.55 and the transmitter site is in Romeoville.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/stations.php?State=IL

Yep, I have an old scanner too. I've always used the 162.475 for weather...plus I popped the Police/Fire and the Sheriff's Freq. for the surrounding counties on it too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 14, 2014, 05:39:22 AM
..now the weather channel's gone....cripes, it's all about the dollar...this stinks.....

I have direct TV too.  I agree, it's all about the money.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

We have Dish but it's do annoying that we pay for programming that includes tons of commercials, reruns from free TV and infomercials.  My husband is the TV watcher here. He is constantly recharging the remote from all his channel surfing. He says "there's nothing on TV worth watching".
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Years back, Jan and I, had an antenna with a rotor....no cable/dish..yada yada...we got everything...now we don't have an antenna anymore....I guess we're just paying for the excellent reception provided by satellite ???....our favorite shows are on broadcast TV...LOL...I don't watch a ton of sports until 'March Madness' and baseball season ;D ;D ;D ;D....we should probably get an antenna put up here and then use 'Hulu' ??...or just set up a web connect itself...?? already paying for internet hook up....why let em double dip?.............I may finally be talking myself into this...LOL
Jon

ilroost

Directv, don't even bring that name up!! Thats what i have, nothing but trouble with them since 2002.They tell you 100+ channels, hell half of them are selling channels. The only reason i keep them is because of the big ten network and fox midwest. I'm like you Jon, college basketball(fighting illini) and baseball(cardinals). are about the only sports for me

JR

I don't care who you have. They are all a joke. I have Time Warner and it sucks
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

BallAquatics

Other than being priced higher than I'd like, I can't really complain about Internet or TV.  I've had super fast a reliable broadband since 2000 and my wife keeps the TV going 24/7.

Dennis

PaulineMi

"Super fast and reliable broadband"...... if only.

We recently upgraded to satellite internet from what we used to have.  It was a radio signal sent from a transmitter on top of a silo down the road to a receiver on our roof. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GeorgeG

Years ago I had both Satellite services at one time or another but since I have no kids at home to watch the thing I got rid of them all and just have the antenna on the roof of my patio. I watch TV maybe 2 hours a day so no need to pay for something I have no use for.