• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 04:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 268
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 254
Total: 255

Question??????

Started by Mugwump, January 08, 2014, 08:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Has everyone here raised angelfish? I'm curious, what species have we all raised, as a group. My guess is some kind of live bearer.....Guppies? Mollies? Swordtails?........then again, what's the oddest fish that you've kept?.....We netted a swarm of 'bullheads' once and raised em....tadpoles too, of course... ;D.........anyone??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Yep....raised an angelfish spawn from pulling the eggs to rehoming them at just over quarter size.  Also used to supply the LFS with Julidochromis marlieri.  They now live in a friend's huge Frontosa tank. Raised  few gupppies and swordtails.  Gave them all to my granddaughter.

The oddballs were brackish species .....  some gobies and a waspfish whose species name escapes me. The waspfish had venomous dorsal spines but he was just a little guy when full grown.  The brackish fish live with the guy who builds my tankstands.

Forgot about the N. brevis shelldwellers.  They too are very prolific and their kids went to the LFS. Also had dwarf types of rainbowfish, small loaches, Pentazona barbs, neons, various tetras., African cichlids and some tiny nano type species.

The angels, discus and rams plus some danios and a few other small species occupy my tanks these days.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LynnB

I've bred mollies, platies, swords... but no Angels yet. I have had three pairs laying eggs beginning in mid-December but they are all young and do not know what they are doing. I'll give them a while on their own and will only pull the eggs if necessary. I do love to read everyone's experiences, though!   

BillT

I when I was a lid I had a couple of lesbian angels lay a bunch of eggs but of course they did not develop.

Many live bearers, many Danios, some Devarios. Many amphibians and inverts. A few seahorses.

Weird ones not bred: polypterus, rope fish, mudskippers, anableps (four eyed fish), sturgeon, butterfly fish (related to arawana). Any of those would be fun to breed.

BallAquatics

More than I care to remember.....

Started out with stuff from the local farm ponds.  Crayfish, blue gills, crapie, bass, etc.

Moved on to livebearers.  Guppies, swords, platies, mollies, etc.

Wanted bigger fish..... Central & South American cichlids.  Convicts, FireMouths, Jack Dempsey, Oscars, Angels, Severums, Rams, dwarfs, etc.

African cichlids were the hot fish in the late 60's and early 70's.  Tilipa, Victorians, Malawi (it wasn't even called Malawi back then. It was lake Nyasa.  Then someone figured out Nyasa was the native language for the word LAKE.  LOL), Tanganyika, Western....  most of these fish have had 10 name changes since I kept them.

After about 35 years of cichlids I went into my bonsai phase of the hobby.  Tiny shrimp and crayfish, rasboras, and tiny danios like CPD's, planted tanks.  This has occupied the last 10 years.

Just recently I got into catfish.  Otos and plecos and cories, oh my.

In my old age I plan on working with Rainbow fish and Tetras.  May be even some shell dwelling cichlids, and if I get the fish room done with some 6 foot tanks I might even have to have some wild angels.

Probably left something out, but oh well.  That's one of the best things about this hobby.....  there is always something new and exciting to keep and try to spawn.  I don't get any fish that I don't have intentions on spawning.

Dennis

wsantia1

I have raised a lot different types of fish including Goldfish (Fancy & Std shapes), Guppies, Swords, Mollies, Oscars, African, Cichilds, Jewels, Bettas, plecos, corys, and there are too many others to list.  I also had some African frogs (both clawed and dwarf) until I saw my fish count dropping.  Now I am doing angels again.  I've done Angels several times throughout the years but this is the first time I've had success breeding them.  I usually kept them in community tanks with other species so I never catered the water and food to their needs. I also have a reeves semi aquatic turtle that I've for 18 years.  His/her name is Keyshawn. LOL   
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

In my almost 43 yrs. of non stop fishkeeping I have had angels, discus, endlers, koi, goldfish, African cichlids, all the livebearers, many central American cichlids, many tetras, plecos, cories, other bottom dwellers, different Australian rainbowfish and probably more that I don't even remember.  Favorites are angels and discus which I have now.
Barb

JR

I have raised Cory, Angels Gourami. The hardest for me were the Chocolate Gourami.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day