• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Southern Redbelly Dace (Chrosomus erythrogaster)

Started by BallAquatics, January 02, 2014, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

A friend of mine collected a nice bunch of these in Mad River here in Central Ohio.  He was moving and loaned them out to me during the early summer of 2012.  I tried on several occasions to get these fish to spawn for me, but in the end, I ended up with but a single fry.

My tiny Chrosomus erythrogaster fry has grown into a beautiful lady fish and is the subject of today's photo exercise.....

She has the most beautiful yellow fins, and her scales are so small that it almost appears like she doesn't have scales.

I may just have to go on a collecting trip of my own this spring to find her a suitable fellow.

She has grown up with a group of Danio meghalayensis, and while she gets along great with her tank mates, she seems to know she is not one of them.

I must admit that these photos do not do her justice.  She is truly a gorgeous fish and a species tank of these fish would make for a very nice looking display.

From the Ohio DNR website.....
QuoteSouthern redbelly dace have extremely small scales giving them the appearance of having none at all. They have a very distinctive color pattern unlike any other Ohio species of minnow and a relatively small terminal (ending at tip of snout) mouth. There is a row of small dark spots or blotches down the center of their back starting just behind the head and extending to the tail. On the upper part of their sides starting just behind the head and running to their tail they have a thin dark (sometimes almost black) stripe. Immediately below that stripe is a wide silvery-gold stripe that extending from just above the eye to their tail. That stripe is then followed by a second dark (sometimes almost black) stripe that is thicker than the first dark stripe. This one goes completely around the tip of the nose, across the gills, and all the way down the sides to the tail. Below this on the lower sides and across the belly is white to a yellowish cream color in young and non-breeding adults. The fins are a light yellow to white color and are fairly transparent. Breeding males have bright red across the entire belly and throat up to the edge of the lower dark stripe. Their fins are often bright lemon yellow and they sometimes have a red spot at the base of the dorsal fin. Breeding females also have some red on their belly and yellow on fins but they are less distinctly colored.

Dennis

b125killer

That's a pretty fish. I was looking at rainbow dace on ebay.
Scott

BallAquatics

PaulineMi

Are rainbow dace and redbelly dace different species?  The actual species names are different...something I noticed when looking up info on the rainbow face.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

BillT

Nice fish Dennis.
I used to try to catch minnows when I was a kid, but they were fast and my aquarium net was small. Did not every get any.

Ron Sower

When I was a kid and young man growing up and fishing in Roanoke, Va. I seined these fish for bait.  They are some of the most beautiful fish.  I used to keep them along with blacknose dace and redfin shiners in 29g aquaria.  In their breeding colors the males are absolutely gorgeous.

If any of you were to seine some and think you could get them to me here in Washington, I'd like to discuss it with you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Chrosomus+erythrogaster+photos&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kW_GUrfAKc-IogTtk4K4Cw&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=608
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron