• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 142
Total: 143

Liquid oxygen

Started by Mugwump, October 28, 2012, 07:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Anybody ever heard of using liquid oxygen to control bacteria in pulled spawns..?? It sounds as if works similar to HP....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I have heard of liquid oxygen being used in instensive recirculating aquaculture set-up being used to provide the oxygen eeded for the fish and biofilter, but never for controlling bacteria in spawned eggs. If anything, it seems that it would provide more oxygen which would let the bacteria grow faster.
Things I have heard of for controlling bacteria would include:
using bleach, hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, or iodine to kill bacteria on the eggs (I have noticed that bleach will knock debris off of slightly adherent eggs so that they are cleaner {therefore more free of bacteria})
using methylene blue to inhibit bacterial growth
using clean or sterilized water is also good.

Warning: Liquid oxygen can be dangerous in that it is a combustion accelerator. I visited a fish farm once in VA that had a fire which got a lot worse because it was being fed by an oxygen line normally intended for the water system.

Mugwump

Thanks for the reply, I found pretty much the same info. I'm not planning on using it, but a guy asked about it and my first response was 'no'...too risky handling it. I know they use it as an energy booster too...somehow they've figured out a dosage for products...???....or maybe it's inhaled somehow???
http://o2spabar.com/liquid-oxygen-faq/.....but
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Obviously we are not talking about 'real' liquid oxygen that has a boiling point of −297.33 ?F.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Yes, we are.....LOL....it's nasty stuff....I worked with it in a Specialty glass blowing lab and if you dip a piece of rubber tube in it and hit it on a counter top...it shatters......
That's why the guys question threw me...I'd never heard of it for bacteria control....anywhere...Bill's answer hit the mark.....
Jon

BillT

Some industrial aquaculture places use liquid oxygen as a source for making ozone (O3). Its more efficient than using air (21% O2). Ozone can be used to kill bacteria. Maybe that's what they were thinking.