• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 08:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

Outdoor tanks....

Started by Ron Sower, November 29, 2013, 10:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Any plans by anyone to place a tank outside this coming summer? 

This past summer I had a plastic grey tote bin that I'd put water in to keep some plants until I found homes for them. After a few weeks of leaving it out there I went back to just see what I had and there were little short threads with eyes streaking around in the water! I had thrown in some plants from my CPD tank and woworae tank which apparently had eggs in them.  They hatched, grew out and I was able to trade them...!

This summer I'm going to do the same thing, but with an old 72g tank I have!  At least, that's the plan!

As a side note....A couple years ago the BAP chair in our club, Cory McElroy started ''The Great White Cloud Race''.  The deal was to put 12 white clouds in a container of some sort that was placed outside beginning May1, I think. On Sep1 we are supposed to count the total number white clouds and turn in our numbers for some kind of prize. I think it's been going on for 2 years now. It had some interesting numbers turned in as I recall.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

That sounds like a fun project. Do you just put the container of water with plants and fish in a sheltered/shaded area and top it off as needed?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Totally unattended!  Just filled it with H2O, and left it alone. Rain filled it. Sun part of the day, shade part of the day! No feeding once I found the fish in it.  It developed just like a pond would.  I tossed in floating plants and submerged plants. They fed off the micro-organisms that appeared naturally.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

That's cool, I like the idea too... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Washington gets more rain than we do though. May have to make adjustments for that part. Have to remember to try this next spring.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Ron Sower

Actually Pauline, we get very little rain in the summer.  It's what we all wait for every year!

BTW we're on the west side of the Cascade Mtns. and we're wet from mid-late September til June, with considerably mild temperatures.  The east side of the mountains gets a lot less rain than we do.  It's actually high dessert-like or subdessert-like conditions over there with very cold winters and very hot dry summers.

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

My friend and I spent a week last May on the west side.  Yep....wet...but so beautiful.

Ron Sower

We laugh about the summer starting here on July 5! Usually after that there is little rain til the fall! Before I moved out here 15 years ago I though my wife-to-be was just kidding.  NOT...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

QuoteActually Pauline, we get very little rain in the summer.  It's what we all wait for every year!

BTW we're on the west side of the Cascade Mtns. and we're wet from mid-late September til June, with considerably mild temperatures.  The east side of the mountains gets a lot less rain than we do.  It's actually high dessert-like or subdessert-like conditions over there with very cold winters and very hot dry summers.

It is just like that to the south in Oregon also.