• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 04:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 202
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211

More Sick Angels!

Started by b125killer, November 28, 2013, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I think I was wrong. I'm thinking that what ever was making the base of Pb clowns fin red was bad. It's a good thing I pulled him out of the tank. To bad I was a little late in doing it. The PB clown still has the red fin not sure why. other than that he seems fine. I have his heat turned up and doing 25% daily water changes.
Now the tank that I took him from isn't looking so hot. All the angels in there have something going on. some look bad. I think it might be bacterial infection but not to sure. I'm starting to turn up there heat and  I have some Metronidazole Powder. I don't want to use the Metronidazole because it's not for bacteria. if that's what it is. I did check there water and it's good. no ammonia and nitrates. Nitrite where 5ppm. I need to know what is going on and how to treat it. The tank that's infected has all my adult angels in it. there is three breeding pairs in there that I would hate to lose. the only thing that is different thing in the tank is the  Purigen that I have been using. but I don't know if that would cause such a mess. The plus side. because of what I have learned from the good people on here I have been using separate cleaning hoses and different nets on the aquariums so that's the only tank that got hit.

Scott

Mugwump

When did you start using the purigen?....Did you start with the other filter media for a bit?..or just swap it out?  How long has it been running(purigen)...is it dirty?...did you just clean it??

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Quoteno ammonia and nitrates. Nitrite where 5ppm.

Nitrites should be zero if the biofilter is working right (maybe you met nitrates).

If you have soft water I would be tempted to throw in some aragonite to up the carbonates. 7 Carbonate molecules are required to process each ammonia molecule to nitrate. Carbonate could be limiting biofilter function.

Adding salt will increase slime coat production.

b125killer

Yea I always get the nitrites and nitrates backwards. I started using the Purigen last Saturday. I changed swapped the carbon out.. I left the two sponge filters in there tank untouched. The sponge filters are the big ones. there should be more than enough filtration with just the sponge filters. I do 25% water changes on that tank once a week. It is a little overstocked. but there is also 4 filters on it. two sponge one hot mag and the canister. I did change the stuffing in the hot mag. but it's the same stuffing that I have been using on all the tanks without any problems. I'll start doing daily water changes on there tank too. I'm just not sure what is wrong. all the other fish in there are doing good. I have the Bolivian rams and clown loaches in there. I would think that if the water was bad the rams and loaches would be the first to get sick.
Scott

Barb

Scott have you added any new fish to that tank recently?  Lower your temp in there, it is probably bacterial and high heat will make it even worse.  Get Furan 2, Metro won't help.  Do big water changes daily and ask Liz for help!
Barb

Mugwump

That's what I was looking for too.....do some big water changes 50% , or more even...keep checking your parameters.....don't change any filtration...clean water does wonders..and yep, get the heat back down, hot water is an oxygen eater too....you need lots of aeration when you turn up the heat...like Barb said, it'll make things worse....things will work out...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If what Mug says doesn't work I would try Kanamycin and Furan in combination.  They work well together.  Metro won't help.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

I haven't used metro yet. I wanted to wait and ask first. I haven't added any fish in months.  The last fish I added where skunk cories. One of  cories did die about two weeks. I'll turn down the heat. How low should I get it. That's probably why they got so bad I seen it yesterday and started to turn the heat up. I'll start doing big water changes too.
Scott

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't know what Angelfish people do.  With Discus we turn it down to the lowest temp that they are comfortable in which is 82.  Maybe 77 with Angels?

I buy all my meds from Jehmco. 

LizStreithorst

Scott, before you go off and do as I say, realize that I'm just guessing when it comes to Angels.  Surely someone who knows his shit will show up and rescue you.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 28, 2013, 06:58:45 PM
Scott, before you go off and do as I say, realize that I'm just guessing when it comes to Angels.  Surely someone who knows his shit will show up and rescue you.

LOL...Houdini???
Jon

LizStreithorst

If nobody around here knows more that I do about disease I will be embarrassed.  Scott can take my advice or go with his gut.  I did some of both when my fish got sick.  I started by doing as suggested and went more and more toward following my gut. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 28, 2013, 07:20:08 PM
If nobody around here knows more that I do about disease I will be embarrassed.  Scott can take my advice or go with his gut.  I did some of both when my fish got sick.  I started by doing as suggested and went more and more toward following my gut.

I agree...but it's hard to diagnose on line...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Huge WC are the best start.  The fish look clamped and miserable.  I see the red especially around the pectoral.  I may be paranoid but I'd want to have the correct meds on hand in case WC doesn't work.

I've seen two Angel guys on.  Neither has posted.  I guess neither of them have ever had sick fish.