• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Bottom cleaners

Started by Mugwump, October 15, 2012, 09:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Catfish are great for keeping your tank bottom free from excess food. Cory's ,for example, are usually the smaller variety seen and sold in pet stores. I've found that at least trios of Cory's are best for them.
Some folks on here breed cories too. I only breed std, Hi Fin, and Sterbias at the moment...and the Sterbias are being stubborn.....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Have you got your sterbai a spawn before Jon? Can you easily tell when they are gravid?
Josh

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on October 15, 2012, 09:39:07 AM
Catfish are great for keeping your tank bottom free from excess food. Cory's ,for example, are usually the smaller variety seen and sold in pet stores. I've found that at least trios of Cory's are best for them.
Some folks on here breed cories too. I only breed std, Hi Fin, and Sterbias at the moment...and the Sterbias are being stubborn.....LOL

Figures...I must have cursed you because I would really like some. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on October 15, 2012, 10:10:43 AM
Have you got your sterbai a spawn before Jon? Can you easily tell when they are gravid?

I have them separated now, in a pod of 9....now as active as the reg cory's but they're starting to perk up some.....Josh, I'm guessing that the females, besides getting a lump, will have their bellies change color like cory's do.....is that right?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

I have mine seperated now too but this is my first attempt at breeding any kind of cory.  So I am unsure of what to look for other the actual eggs lol. Any suggestion/info is greatly appreciated.
Josh

Mugwump

Well, I know that the Sterbias like plant leaves and don't normally lay in clusters like std cory's do....but this is a first time around for us too.....time will tell???
Jon

JR

I have all mine seperated because of moving. My Sterbias lay all over thetank.  5 Or 6 eggs in a spot
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Thanx, JR...good to know....
Jon

ilroost

I have found putting a few oak leaves in the tank seems to help. they always lay eggs on them. also the infrosia that grows on them is good food for the fry

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on October 15, 2012, 07:56:29 PM
I have found putting a few oak leaves in the tank seems to help. they always lay eggs on them. also the infrosia that grows on them is good food for the fry

Hmmm..oak leaves....I keep small swords and java fern..they like those too..and little anubias...
Jon

JR

Never tried Oak leaves. But I will Be.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Jdmcfast

Do the sterbias belly change color or give any kind of sign ahead of time?
Josh

Mugwump

I think they do...but stay tuned....I'm watching them closely
Jon

Jdmcfast

Generally with cories how does it change? Get darker, pink, or what?
Josh

Mugwump

Kind of a magenta color.....
Jon