• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 12:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

Group set up...

Started by Mugwump, November 16, 2013, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

More or less, yes....I figured it be a good exercise to combine our group knowledge in setting up a tank from step one....so far, it's interesting to see others suggestions, and point(s) of view. 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 26, 2013, 11:45:50 AM
Ok...we'll use some feeder guppies to bring it along.

Great idea Jon, I'd substitute a dozen Zebra Danio for the guppies so we aren't bored to tears waiting for the cycle to run it's course, and just in case this slipped through un-noticed, here's David's fantastic article about cycling with fish.....

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 17, 2013, 10:30:35 AM
Here's a great article on the subject by my friend David in Florida ==>> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Tanks cycled now....so what's next?.....
Jon

Mugwump

...seems like we have a cycled tank that's been ready for over three years now....LOL....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I have never in my life cycled a tank.  I can't understand why people find it easier to do the ammonia thing and constantly test the water parameters when all that's necessary it to change a huge amount of water every day until the beneficial bacteria in the filter starts working.  I had 5 huge adult Discus cramed in a 30 gallon with an uncycled filter for 3 weeks quarantine.  I watched the fish.  Fish will show you if they're stressed.  I must have taken it slow, because as I went  from flopping on the bottom daily WC to 50% the fish showed no signs of stress.
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 09, 2017, 03:19:03 PM
I can't understand why people find it easier to do the ammonia thing and constantly test the water parameters when all that's necessary it to change a huge amount of water every day until the beneficial bacteria in the filter starts working. 

That's why.  Some of us are just plain too lazy to do big water changes every day.  I cycled my first tank with two filters and after that it is put a cycled filter in the new tank and go.  Removing one filter reduces the good bacteria by 50%, but the bacteria can double in 24 hours so you haven't lost anything.  And the next tank starts with a cycled filter.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

When I had the 5 huge Discus in a 30, I had a fear that the Discus Plague (same virus as Angelfish Plague) might still be lingering in my fish room.  I had to make it so there was 0 cross contamination.  Doing that required a good but of thought.  Now that I'm not buying Asian Discus I no longer have to worry about extreme QT.
Always move forward. Never look back.