• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 137
Total: 138

Group set up...

Started by Mugwump, November 16, 2013, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I was thinking, what if we all set up a 120 gal community tank here. Talk our way through the process of cycling, water parameters, filtration, lighting, and decorating..plants, rock, wood, etc...then plan out the population to be kept...species compatibility, bottom feeders, mid tank swimmers, top swimmers, etc.....upkeep and fish care...and anything else brought up..
   This could be an interesting thread for anyone to access for reference. Plus it'd be a fun exercise. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Yes our virtual tank.

New or used? Cost of new vs condition of silicone seals/need for resealing. What to look for. Stand considerations.

Then on to the fun stuff.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I think a wooden display type stand would look good, and what can we get a nice used tank for??  A used wood stand in good condition is cheaper than new, so look around.

There are reasonably priced used tanks, in excellent condition.
In a used tank, first consideration would, if the glass clean, and unscratched...then, does it hold water...and how old is it?..ever been resealed?, what was kept in it?..etc...is it drilled?

What's a good price for a used 120gal tank?

What can we get a new/used stand for..??

let's try to keep a tally on cost too....that's an eye opener to lots of folks. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels2

would the tank be acrylic or glass?

BallAquatics

Let's do glass... much better fro taking photos.   ;D

Dennis

BallAquatics

I've found a drilled glass 125 just down the road from me for $50.00 on Craig's List.  I'm hoping it's a 6 footer.

Dennis

Mugwump

I agree, glass is best. $50 for a 125, that's a steal if it's not 'frosted' over....sounds like an old tank too...nice thick glass.  ;D
Jon

Mugwump

Ok, now we've maybe found our tank....we need a stand.
Jon

P4Angels

Funny thing is I just built a 120 stand.   USed the same plans as I did for the double 55 gallon tank.... Looks like this:

Should have it painted by weekend    8)
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

BallAquatics

WOW  That stand would support my SUV.  Nice work Aron.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

If we go with a fish room type rack, perfect. Do we need an available alternate in case someone wants the tank in there front room, a la show tank?
Jon

P4Angels2

you could always create a curtain to put around the bottom and be able to hide away your water changing supplies!! Buckets hoses etc....

Mugwump

Good idea, it can be versatile too. ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Most of my used tanks were free or close to it and needed repair.  Still if I had my heart set on a 120 and it was in good shape silicone and all I would consider it to be worth $120. to $150.  I dislike carpentry but I have built stands before.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Planted or unplanted?....if planted we'll have to decide on the type of substrate, and lighting. Low light plants?..high light plants?..combo??....
Jon