• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 130
Total: 130

Diamond Tetra

Started by PaulineMi, November 13, 2013, 05:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Earlier this year there were two survivors from a diamond tetra spawn.  Odds were definitely against them as there are White Cloud Mountain minnows, cories, angelfish and the adult diamond tetras in their tank.  Here's a picture of one of the two lucky youngsters that made it and one of the adults....

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Pretty fish.....and lucky too,,,yep
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

On the face of it, it seems cruel, but that's just the way it has to be.  I read an article many years ago about egg scattering fish and their propensity to eat their own eggs and fry.  The gist of the article was, if each fish produced just 1 fish that survived to adulthood over the course of their lives, they had perpetuated the species.  Just imagine what it would be like if a moderately high percentage of the offspring survived.....

post scriptum:  Very nice photos Pauline!

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 14, 2013, 07:50:08 AM
On the face of it, it seems cruel, but that's just the way it has to be.  I read an article many years ago about egg scattering fish and their propensity to eat their own eggs and fry.  The gist of the article was, if each fish produced just 1 fish that survived to adulthood over the course of their lives, they had perpetuated the species.  Just imagine what it would be like if a moderately high percentage of the offspring survived.....

post scriptum:  Very nice photos Pauline!

Dennis

That makes sense....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Darwinian fishkeeping is what I call this and I practice it daily.

Pauline, those are wonderful photos! Did you use side lighting, overhead, front, bottom? I'm thinking top and side.

And did you use a pane of glass to keep the specimen in the front of the tank?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Thank you.

The lighting is the LED fixture on top of the tank. And the pictures were actually the result of these guys getting in the way while I was tying to get some pictures of the angelfish.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

P4Angels

Great photo... Some times the oppps are the best ones.... 8)
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

b125killer

Scott