• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 03:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 109
Total: 109

Shrimplet/Java Moss Question

Started by PaulineMi, November 03, 2013, 07:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I was given a small handful of Java moss when I got my shrimp. The moss has grown like crazy but unfortunately there's hair algae in it. I'm tired of fighting the algae and want to toss the whole thing. Is there any way to do this without sacrificing baby shrimp that may be in the moss/algae plant. Perhaps I could pull small strands over a period of several days?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Correctd subject line to read Shrimplet, not "Strimplet"   ::)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

That sounds like a workable plan Pauline.  I'd put the moss into something like a mixing bowl with some tank water and just start taking it apart.

Will there be somewhere else for the baby shrimp to hide when the moss is gone, or are there no preditors in the tank with them?

Dennis

PaulineMi

Oh there are predators in that tank....CPDs from you.  ;) 

I have some Java moss in an angel tank that I can put in their tank. There are also other plants and driftwood in the shrimp/CPD tank so there is cover for them.  However the CPDs are skilled hunters. I've even seen them hover and then "charge" deep into the Java moss after their prey!

Thanks Dennis. I'll do the mixing bowl with tank water method. Any babies can then be poured back into the tank. 

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

It's hard to imagine that those sweet little CPD's are really a wolf in sheeps clothing!   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis