• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 03:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 155
Total: 155

The tank stand

Started by Mugwump, October 24, 2012, 07:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

There's quite a few folks here that have self made stands and racks...any suggestions or 'how to's' for someone starting out...or maybe thinking of expanding. Racks and stands can cost some big bucks, if buying the commercial ones. Metal framed racks aren't always a good choice because of rust,etc.....what's the criteria?...tank size, space available,overall weight, material....others??

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I use 2x4 lumber and carriage bolts to build my racks.  They are a little 'over built' strength wise, but 2x4's are inexpensive, easy to find, and easy to work with!

Dennis

b125killer

I like making stands It's a lot cheaper than buying them. Plus I don't like that alot of store bought stands they are particle board that seem like it wouldn't hold the tank much less the weight of the water. I use 2x4 and reinforce it. then depending on what I want to do I will use 5mm sheeting to skin it. this is the first one I made
Scott

b125killer

Here are a some more I have made
Scott

Jo

I try to always have hubby build mine. He is really good at it!

Those are some cool racks and stands ya'll have Ball Aquatics and B125killer!
Jo

P4Angels

here is my little stand:

another great craigslits find.  We recycled a reception desk (base) the added 4x4 supports to the desk portion.   Then I built up for the second tier using 2x6's it's a monster and I hope I dont have to move it any time soon.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

P4Angels

The plan is to cover the blue and black fabric with with wood. Paint the inside of the doors white to reflect the light.   It will  look allot nicer when it's done...
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...