• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 07:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 207
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

Nets

Started by Mugwump, October 23, 2012, 06:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

We all use a variety of nets in our fishrooms. What do you use?.....do you have any fine mesh?...or the std green ones with a more open mesh?....make your own??...have a favorite source for nets?...do you have a bbs net?....long handles,short handles???...what's everyone preferences?

Me, I have some xtra large ones for the adults, especially the veils. I have some med size for general use and small for fry....I,also, have a few custom made nets, mt favorite is my custom made bbs net...awesome tool....thank you 'Ralph's Nets'.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

i have alot of big nets, the ones you get at bait shops. i need big nets for the monster fish i have

BillT

I mostly have normal nets, but I made a big one a year or two ago to catch some giant danios out of a 85 G tank. Those fish are way too fast to catch by chasing them around with nets. I made a cpvc frame and put some mesh on it.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 23, 2012, 09:52:32 PM
I mostly have normal nets, but I made a big one a year or two ago to catch some giant danios out of a 85 G tank. Those fish are way too fast to catch by chasing them around with nets. I made a cpvc frame and put some mesh on it.

good idea...got picture of it??...that might work for angel fry??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I got a new net this weekend It's a bigger net. it also has  got a flexible handle and said it won't  snag gills and fins. I figure that it would be good for the angels. I also have a few little cheap nets.   
Scott

Jdmcfast

Quote from: b125killer on October 24, 2012, 06:01:52 AM
I got a new net this weekend It's a bigger net. it also has  got a flexible handle and said it won't  snag gills and fins. I figure that it would be good for the angels. I also have a few little cheap nets.

How is it working for you?
Where did you get it?
Pics?

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

b125killer

I haven't had to use it on the bigger angels yet. but so far I like it. It's 8"x6" 15.4" long handle Aquatop 360 degree flexable handle. I got it at a local LFS but you canfind them online.
Scott

Jo

I have all kinds. Really like long handle one. I also like the one that is more silky for babies.
Jo

Jdmcfast

I just bought a bunch of smaller nets when I made a big jehmco order. Mostly for small fry, bbs,shrimp and chasing BN fry in a 2.5!

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Mir

I have rarely had to use nets. A lot of the time I just use plastic cups since I have small fish. One time a few months ago I couldn't even find a net when I did need one. But now I do always keep two nets handy. One is a fine mesh and the other is a standard green. They are both small and have short handles. Ideally though, I'd like a net with a very long handle to minimize how much I have to get wet. .....I actually have like 20 or so various nets scattered around in storage but they aren't good quality ones and most I'd need to thoroughly disinfect to be able to use again. I need to just go out and buy a decent large one. Or it might be fun to make my own! :)
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BillT

Quote from: Mugwump on October 24, 2012, 05:55:09 AM
Quote from: BillT on October 23, 2012, 09:52:32 PM

good idea...got picture of it??...that might work for angel fry??

OK, here is a picture of the net I made:

I guess I like pipe gluing.
Its made of 1/2" cpvc (thinner than 1/2' PVC). The net mesh hole size is about 1/8".
I'm not much of one for sewing, so I used heat glue to to do the seams. The heat glue came out kind of rough and lumpy, but I kept it all on the back side where the fish won't contact it by pinching the two parts together and only putting glue where the fish could not contact it.

Here is a picture of the net by the tank it was made for:

I had thought about making it adjustable in width by using three slider fittings but it would have required either streaching the net (thereby changing the hole size) of having extra netting all bunched up in pleats at the smaller sizes. Also would have been more difficult to make.

By the way, the fake vegetation on the egg trap is from a plastic cheerleader pom-pom I got online. It is my current favorite fake vegetation. It floats up instead of sinking like acrylic yarn and looks more like a real plant.

BillT

Opps. Here's the second picture:

Mugwump

nice rig, I like it.....I'll bet that I can get a lot of fry, with that configuration, in one swoop...??
Jon

Ron Sower

One of the things I have done to reach different depths in my 2 large tanks, is develop an extended handle net.  I used an aluminum handle from a duster or something like that which you can twist the handle and extend it or shorten it.  Then, I punched a hole in the plastic end cap that the duster part screwed onto.  Next I cut the looped handle of whatever size net I want to use and poked it through the hole, twist/screwing it in as I pushed it all the way to the "catching" portion of the net.  I'm out of town right now, but if you want pics, let me know.
flr
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Ah, necessity is the mother of invention.....LOL..I'd like to see a pic if you get a chance...???
Jon