• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 12:01:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

Tank tools

Started by Mugwump, October 15, 2012, 09:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

You'll want to keep a variety of handy tools and equip around.

A good debris filter, like a HOT Mag, Diatiom, or something similar. These are handy, after cleaning, or doing tank cleanups, for getting the disturbed debris particles out of the water.

A decent siphon tube....or python to clean the bottom and gravel. Also, for removing water during water changes.

5 Gallon bucktes...enough said.....buckets are handy

who can name or add some other things???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Buckets?  Mug, you live in the dark ages, you poor dear.  No need for buckets if you have pumps.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 15, 2012, 10:37:10 AM
Buckets?  Mug, you live in the dark ages, you poor dear.  No need for buckets if you have pumps.
Lol
Josh

Jo

Agreed, but I got new fish and did the quarantine thing with everything like you & Jon told me too and I had to go Saturday and buy a bucket and siphon tank cleaner to keep everything isolated from rest of tank. The bucket sucked!!!!

What about a glass cleaning pad?
Jo

LizStreithorst

Yeah, QT can be a pain.  I can siphon out my kitchen door but I need to refill with buckets. 

Good for you doing a proper QT.  Usually you can get away with just tossing the new fish in the existing tanks but when you don't get away with it, you are in for a lot of heart ache.  You can loose everything.

BallAquatics

Come on ladies, don't be so hard on Jon LOL

I pump all my water too, but my discharge pump sits in a 5 gallon bucket that I move around the fish room.

Dennis

Mugwump

Buckets are good for transport, cleaning sponges, isolating fish before bagging and many other things....I use a pump to do water changes and a submersible pump from a holding tank to fill....but I couldn't live without my various sized buckets.....LOL

oh..and soaking/cleaning nets and equip. too
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 15, 2012, 12:05:39 PM
Yeah, QT can be a pain.  I can siphon out my kitchen door but I need to refill with buckets. 

Good for you doing a proper QT.  Usually you can get away with just tossing the new fish in the existing tanks but when you don't get away with it, you are in for a lot of heart ache.  You can loose everything.

I believe you and did not take any chances. I will try getting pics of them later.
Jo

b125killer

Yep I got a pump for water changes but still use buckets for everything else. Life got a lot easier with the pump.
I would also like to thank Jon for getting me hooked on the green 3M pads. I think I clean about everything with them. 
Scott

Jo

What kind of pump are you all using? I want to get one or else figure a way to turn power head into one. I have a python I empty and fill with, but our water is high, however much you use they charge double for sewer charge. So since I got back into fish keeping in March my water bill has doubled. :'(   I figure if I just had a pump it may go down some.
Jo

Mugwump

Here's the pump....
http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-PC2-115-Volt-Portable-Transfer/dp/B000CPZTEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341962918&sr=8-2&keywords=wayne+transfer+pump

I got a gray heavy plastic cattle feeding tub from Farm&Fleet,,about 100gal, then I got a submersible pump for the tub.....I put a few sediment/carbon cartridge filters in and fill the tub thru the filters, zapping the chlorine(mostly)...then I refill from the tub,,,,
For cleaning and draining...take the 2-3ft section of the python hose(with the switch0 and put it on a hose.....hose to pump, another hose to drain....bingo,,,,drain and fill from the tub....
You can even get a little remote switch for the plug and turn the pumps on and off as you drain or fill,,,,,great for moving between tanks...
Jon

Jo

Thanks Jon. Going to look at that pump. :)
Jo

LizStreithorst

I use this one  http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-PC4-115-Volt-Transfer-Water/dp/B0002YQUBM/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1350396782&sr=1-2&keywords=wayne+transfer+pump

If you look around you can find a deal.  I got mine for $99 with free shipping.  I water the garden with the out going water.

Jo

I've been doing that with water I take our of quarantine tank, and when I clean my sponges.
Jo

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on October 16, 2012, 08:40:23 AM
Here's the pump....
http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-PC2-115-Volt-Portable-Transfer/dp/B000CPZTEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341962918&sr=8-2&keywords=wayne+transfer+pump

I got a gray heavy plastic cattle feeding tub from Farm&Fleet,,about 100gal, then I got a submersible pump for the tub.....I put a few sediment/carbon cartridge filters in and fill the tub thru the filters, zapping the chlorine(mostly)...then I refill from the tub,,,,
For cleaning and draining...take the 2-3ft section of the python hose(with the switch0 and put it on a hose.....hose to pump, another hose to drain....bingo,,,,drain and fill from the tub....
You can even get a little remote switch for the plug and turn the pumps on and off as you drain or fill,,,,,great for moving between tanks...

Great minds must think alike. That's the same one we use....  Hmmmm where did  I get that idea???  8)
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...