• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 03:22:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

Sick discus

Started by Ron Sower, March 26, 2023, 01:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Good day!

This morning I found one of my melons swimming in a head-down position...then on its side and upside down...I have no clue what's wrong...temp is 85...belly larger than normal...I fed earthworm pellets yesterday...other 3 look fine...

Any ideas? I need help on this one...please!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 26, 2023, 01:37:03 PM
Good day!

This morning I found one of my melons swimming in a head-down position...then on its side and upside down...I have no clue what's wrong...temp is 85...belly larger than normal...I fed earthworm pellets yesterday...other 3 look fine...

Any ideas? I need help on this one...please!

Ron check out this link from Simply Discus. It may give you an idea of what is going on.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Emergency-Room

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I'm sorry, Ron.  I didn't even look at the computer yesterday.  It sounds like bloat which may have turned into swim bladder diesase.  If it's bloat and not too bad yet, try 1 tablespoon Epsom salt per 10 gallons of water in a BB QT tank (20 gallons is big enough)  also lower the water level to just above the fish's dorsal.  This will help with osmotic. pressure.  If you see no improvement after 24 hrs increase the ebsom salt concentration to 2 T per 10.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Thank you both for the advice...right after I wrote you here I moved him to a 3g bucket, gently squeezed his belly releasing a few bubbles from his mouth, then added a stress reliever and epsom salts...

Within a few hours he was swimming and holding vertical again....

So far today he's looking good and I just replaced him in the tank with the others...

I will be doing a PWC in a few minutes...and will keep close watch!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Thank goodness.  Bloat can kill a Discus once it get's bad.  Is he eating and pooping black again?

Ron Sower

He pooped black thru the night or this morning...haven't fed them yet...will do and watch a while after the water change is finished...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

sounds like he dodged the bullet with your help.  Feed lightly for the next couple of days.

wsantia1

That's great news Ron. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

The melon guy is still looking good!...I'm glad I saw him early in his discomfort!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron