• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 06:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Sunny Saturday

Started by Barb, February 04, 2023, 07:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Finally, some sun for the first time in many days. But cold, only 25 out there at 8am.  I know it is much colder in other areas, but for here this is cold.  It is windy so the wind chill is much colder.  I think it will be another indoor day here for me.

Question for you all:  I have a good lady friend who keeps a large tank of discus, 75 gal. and a 40 gal with fancy guppies, heavily planted. Discus tank bare bottom with wood and anubias.  Both tanks are BB.  She had to move the tanks the other day to get new flooring put in.  To do this she took the discus out, 3 of them, put into a large bucket, and saved half the tank water to put back in with them over 6 hrs later.  MISTAKE     Also saved half the guppy tank water to add back into the 2" she left with the fish in the tank.

Well, now both tanks are very cloudy, fish either hanging at the surface or swimming listlessly.  Both tanks in trouble, she sent me pics and videos.  I think she has a bacteria bloom going on due to all the dead stuff in the tank water she saved for many hrs. with no filter, heat, etc.    She did big wc;s a couple days later, but seems to have made it all worse.  Her tap water ph is 7.0.  She added Safe.  What would you tell her to do to save her fish? I have advised her but so far no good.  Is this anything other than a bacteria bloom? Def. not algae. 
Barb

wsantia1

Good morning Barb and everyone. It is sunny and cold here too with the current temp at 18 degrees and going up to 30F this afternoon. The good news is that Spring like temps return tomorrow and will stick arounf all week. Even better is that there will be no accompanying precip in the forecast.

Barb boutour friend with the bacterial bloom. With fish dying is there have water circulation it the tanks? Bacterial blooms use up a lot of oxygen from the water.  I usually use my hot mag to remove any cloudiness in my tanks.

In a pinch I will use a product called Accurel F which will bind the bacteria together making it easier for the regular filtration system to remove most of it. When using this product you have to make sure that there is aeration in the tank. Good luck to her.

Wishing you all a great day and I'll check in on you all later.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Have her buy a bottle of Stability and use it as directed.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Good morning friends.  It's sunny here too.  Cold in the mornings but warming up to 60 later today.  In a few days we'll be back in the 70's.

I'm finally feeling better after 2 days mostly in bed.  I actually got out of my pajamas today.  I guess I won't be  100% until those teeth come out.  I ate a little yesterday, and today I will have a real meal.  Steamed Royal Red shrimp with butter and lemon dipping sauce.  No way I could handle anything more substantial.  I don't have much get up and go but I'm going as well as I can.  I don't know if I feel this way because of the infection or that my back got lazier after all that time in bed.  But I know that if I don't push myself I will get nowhere.
Always move forward. Never look back.