• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 16, 2024, 11:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 133
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

Wednesday is for cleaning

Started by LizStreithorst, January 11, 2023, 11:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

At least it is for me this Wednesday. 

My back said no to me yesterday so after my wonderful moist flavorful meat loaf and steamed asparagus I spent most of the afternoon lying on the sofa watching fish in the fish room.  One of my two young pairs spawned.  The female has laid many times.  The first couple of times the male followed her up the cone eating every eggs.  The next few times he watched in confusion as she laid but didn't eat the eggs until they turned white.  The time just before this I could see that the process had something to do with sex but didn't understand his role in the process.  This time he actually made some tentative runs.  He got better at it as the egg laying continued but he is a very timid male so far.  Once the pair was done, I dribbled meth blue over the eggs and put the cone in a pitcher of RO inside their tank.  At least this is progress.  I'll see in a another day or two if the eggs are fertile. 

When I got up this morning I treated all the Discus pairs for flukes using PP.  I check on the pairs now and again to see if any of them are stressed, but the treatment is going well.  I'll neutralize the PP and do a WC on the tanks I've treated.  The whole treatment only lasts 4 hrs.

After that I continued my cleaning in the kitchen.  It's coming along slowly but surely.  I'm finally ready to tackle the mess of the countertop.  I'm not looking forward to it.

This afternoon I'll reward myself for my hard work by going to the supermarket.  I'm out of ice cream and out of beer which is somewhat of an emergency in my book.

My Tramadol which was shipped from Ohio yesterday and was supposed to arrive yesterday as well is still in Cincinnati.  I counted pills and I have enough of the dose I'm good with until Sunday morning.  Surely my pain drugs will have arrived by Saturday.  I hate Humana pharmacy.

It's pretty cloudy so far today but it will get up to 76 degrees.  Such weird weather we're having.  We go from one extreme to another.  The way things are going make me relieved to know that I'm old and will be dead by the time the worst comes, and glad I don't have any kids or grand kids who will have to deal with the strange weather conditions coming in the future.

OK, enough sitting down resting for now.  I'm going to peek in on the fish and then tackle my countertops.  See y'all later.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Good afternoon Liz and everyone. Currently it is a cloudy 45 degrees here with a mild wind that makes it feel like 41F outside. The lack of sunshine makes it feel colder.

I did a bit of fishroom work today and I have been doing maintenance stuff in the fishroom on a daily basis for the last week or so. Doing maintenance this way allows me to pay more attention to specific issues as they pop up while also taking care of the water changes as needed.

Today I did water changes on a couple of tanks along with filter cleaning and water testing and adjustments. Before I would have focused on getting all of my water changes done and paid very little attention to anything else.

Tomorrow I will focus on a different set of tanks and do something similar. Another plus is that I don't run out of hot water while doing water changes and so I don't have to pause several times while my hot water heater heats up cold water when the hot water runs out.   

Tomorrow I will also try to finish the rebuild on my Alita-60 that I started about a month ago. It is mostly rebuilt and is in service but while rebuilding the pump I noticed a couple of other parts that were ready to fail so I had to track down replacement parts for those items. I found the parts and I got them in the mail today.

I am headed back down to the fishroom to see what else needs to be done. At 5:00 pm I have a community meeting that I have to attend but that I don't really want to go to. They need my vote so I will go, but....

Wishing you all a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Oop , I just wrote my long post for the wrong day, so go read Tuesday's postings.  Liz, I am your age exactly, I am not old, and I don't dread the coming years weather at all.  The weather has been changing for eons, nothing new here, and the earth will deal with it, no worries at all.  It will be OK. Humans will adapt. I hope you are here for the changes......like me.
Barb

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on January 11, 2023, 04:39:58 PM
Oop , I just wrote my long post for the wrong day, so go read Tuesday's postings.  Liz, I am your age exactly, I am not old, and I don't dread the coming years weather at all.  The weather has been changing for eons, nothing new here, and the earth will deal with it, no worries at all.  It will be OK. Humans will adapt. I hope you are here for the changes......like me.
Barb
exactly the way I look at it, Barb!..
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Hi gang!...

It was cooler today with some clouds, but I wasn't out in it...boy!...Cali is really getting hit with the storms, and more on the way!....I wonder how many hazard insurance companies will be going out business after last year and this year start?...

Last night I had very little sleep...I kept waking...Feeling today about like I did yesterday evening...sore throat, drainage, coughing....but when I sat down to rest between what little I did today helped...a fellow came ver and visited and I sent him away with a bunch of plants...he'll be back in a couple weeks to get some nano fish when his new tank is cycled...I liked the fellow...we visited for over an hour...he was a sponge as I was teaching him some plant stuff! ;D

Still didn't get to the WCs today...not enough energy...but I did set 2 of the Poret tower filters I got from Swiss Tropicals into the Discus tanks...I'll leave the 4 smaller sponge filters in there for a month, giving the new ones time to develop bacterial colonies, before I remove them...next I want to figure some plants to go into the tank...have 2 more for the rainbow tank...

That's about it for me today, folks...have a good evening...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron