• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 08:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 285
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 307
Total: 307

Tiger Teddies - Neoheterandria elegans

Started by Ron Sower, December 19, 2022, 10:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I picked up these live-bearing fish from a friend who tends to acquire "different" species than the norm, and let's them breed and then gives them away to friends or sells them to LFSs. I and a few others are fortunate to be in his list of friends!!!...

Here is one site for a good description... https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/neoheterandria-elegans/ ...
Tiger Teddies were described to me as being the smallest live-bearer known. I haven't been able to confirm that, though...

When I received them they were small...I've been feeding finely crushed dry foods, microworms, decapped brine shrimp eggs, and another small fry food...which name I cannot remember ATM, and I'm too lazy right now to get up and look!... :(. After a few weeks and they started reaching their full size, I began to notice 1, then 2, young fry...they were big enough to take microworms...

I have them in a 5.5 gallon tank with the bottom covered with Susswassertang about 3"-4" in depth...I'm using a mix of RO and tap water...we can break teeth if we try to chew the water here in this part of Arizona...I don't test water for parameters...

It appears to me, and the site above may corroborate this, that they gestate the internal eggs similar to goodeids, in that the eggs aren't all developed at one time and they may derive nourishment from some organs of the female...and they drop fry one or 2 at a time...

All-in-all, I'm enjoying these cute little livebearers from South America...! I would like to hear from any other Muggers out there that have experience with this species...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

This part is cool:
It appears to me, and the site above may corroborate this, that they gestate the internal eggs similar to goodeids, in that the eggs aren't all developed at one time and they may derive nourishment from some organs of the female...and they drop fry one or 2 at a time...

I guess I was wrong in thinking that mosquito fish were the smallest live bearer.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Liz, so far I believe you're correct about Heterandria formosa being the smallest livebearer...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron