• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Sterbai Cories

Started by wsantia1, November 25, 2022, 10:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I have good and maybe bad news with these cories. I saw that some of of the eggs hatched and I saw a glimpse of a couple of fry but I have not seen any fry since yesterday. They are in a 2.5 gallon tank that has a small sponge filter so maybe the fry are hiding under the sponge filter.

The good new is that I pulled out 21 newly laid eggs and they re now in a second container. Hopefully more of these eggs will hatch.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I hope they're under the sponge, Willie.  Have you considered giving your Sterbai pairs a tank of their own.  20's would work just fine.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 25, 2022, 10:28:06 AM
I hope they're under the sponge, Willie.  Have you considered giving your Sterbai pairs a tank of their own.  20's would work just fine.

Liz they are all in one tank by themselves. You have to pull there eggs because the parents will eat the eggs and fry. There are nine adults and I doubt that I could identify a specific pair since they are constantly swimming around each other. It's more like a free for all in their tank. I'm sure that I'll be able to grow out some fry.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Willmyou describe you tank setup, please?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 25, 2022, 09:39:54 PM
Willmyou describe you tank setup, please?

20 gallon long with dirt toned smooth gravel and Java moss. 1 sponge filter. These are egg scatterers so they lay eggs everywhere including the moss. They do not care for the eggs at all and will eat the eggs and fry. You have to pull the eggs.

I have 9 sterbai in this tank since they like to be in groups.
Willie

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 26, 2022, 09:13:23 AM
Thanks, Willie.
Temp?

This tank is at 82 degrees. Sterbai can handle warmer temps than other cories.
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 26, 2022, 09:58:25 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on November 26, 2022, 09:13:23 AM
Thanks, Willie.
Temp?

This tank is at 82 degrees. Sterbai can handle warmer temps than other cories.
...mine are in with the discus at 85...I think I need to set them up in their own tank...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron