• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 09:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 90
Total: 91

Thank God it's Monday!

Started by LizStreithorst, November 21, 2022, 10:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Yesterday was fine until by back was mean to me.  I didn't think I overworked it, but it thought otherwise.  It was furious with me!  I got into bed soon I ate lunch and took my drugs.  I was in really in bad shape.  Charlotte missed her dinner, the poor fish missed both dinner and WC.

On top of everything, one of my Medo air pumps started to give up the ghost.  I had to put a couple of tanks on little air pumps to take some of the strain on it.  It was making a terrible knocking noise, but I didn't have the strength to do anything else.

I must have accidently set my thermostat to 50 degrees before bed.  I can handle 56 with the electric blanket because it automatically turns itself on and goes the 68 at 6:30 in the morning.  I cannot deal with 50.  Then I went to sleep.  I woke up at 2am to take my drugs and I was freezing to death.  The electric blanket had quit working and I was dreaming that I was out of propane.  I had 2 dogs snuggled close to me under the covers.  I tried to get the thermostat to turn the heat up, but apparently it was so cold that the phone was not working correctly.  I dragged my painful self out of bed and turned up the heat manually.  Because of my dream I was half believing that I was really out of propane.

At least all that time in bed plus my 2am drugs worked.  I got up this morning feeling pretty good.

The first thing I did after I got up was replace the dying air pump with one I had in reserve.  I bought those Medo pumps for $50. each used on eBay about 15 years ago.  I knew that eventually one would die.  They're the same kind of pump as the best ones at Jehmco.  New they cost around $300.

After I got the pump replaced, I went straight to eBay and bought another to have in reserve.  They are going for $100. now.  But considering the age of the 3 I use to run air in the fish room I had do choice.  The one I found is even more powerful than the ones I'm using.

Today is going much better but replacing the pump is all the work I'm going to do for the day.  I don't want to go through the pakin I had yesterday again.

So there's the long dull story of my life.  My piece of exciting news is that one of the people who bought baby Discus from me wants to buy a breeding pair for her sister.  It turns out that I have 2 pairs that really are not up to my standards.  I never thought I'd sell them because I won't ship large fish.  But this lady lives in New Orleans.  I'm just a 2 1/2 hr drive away.  She had no problem with the price I asked, and I asked more than I thought they were worth.  The thing is, most Discus keepers don't have the eye for correct Discus conformation that I do.  She was only wanting my fish because they have that beautiful strong blue base.  That will be another $300. in my pocket.  I know the cost of propane will be sky high right now.  In my dream it was going to cost $943.78  to fill my tank.  I'm sure that it won't be as expensive as in my dream, but I won't be surprised if it's between $500 and $600.  Thanks to my fish, I have the cash on hand to pay for it.

That's all...Happy Monday, friends.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Hi everyone! Liz sorry about your back, heat and fishroom work, but good news about selling the discus pair.  Ron and Willie, keep up with all your good works and busyness! I am doing OK, just not too chatty these days.  Each day is better though.  Wish for warm weather but that won't be happening any time soon.  I am going to my daughter for T'giv Thurs and Friday.  About 3 hrs. drive each way.  Spending Thurs. night there.  Home the next day and will visit a sickly friend on my way back home.  What do you all have planned for T'giv?  Whatever it is I hope it involves good food!
Barb

wsantia1

Good evening Liz, Barb and everyone. I woke up to 23 degree temps this morning along with a howling wind. We did mange to get up to a high of 41 this afternoon but at least the wind died died down making it not so bad of a weather day.

I played in the fishroom today but I didn't get much accomplished. My biggest problem is that I have to move slowly when doing a lot of tasks to avoid injuring myself one way or another.

Today I spent a lot of time separating the male from female guppies in the mutt guppy juvenile tank. I'll probably end up taking these to club where hopefully I may get a dollar a fish for them. Some of the males look good but not good enough for me to keep.

Hopefully all of you had decent days. 
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Barb, it's great to have you back "home".  I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that you have been missed these past few days.

I've been invited to April and Shawn's house for Thanksgiving.  I'm incredibly thankful for that family to "adopt" me.  I'm quite sure that it was Jack who made it so.  I loved that man, and miss him terribly now that he's gone.  April is a great cook. As she said when I complimented her once, she learned from the best, meaning Judy, her mother.

I have only myself to blame for breaking my electric blanket.  I tried to pull it up with dogs on it which broke the wire connections on the side of the bed I usually sleep on.  But I do have an electric throw which I put on the bed, so I'll be toasty warm tonight with the the thermostat set to 56.

I'll also be incredibly comfortable, too.  I splurged big time and bought a down pillow that was delivered today.  It is magnificent.  And since even at 7 o'clock I'm hobbling around I'm very much looking forward to sleeping with it under my head.

This afternoon, I ordered Metro from Jehmco and  vacuumed the sofa in the fish room.  It will soon (I hope) be clean enough to sleep down there.  My Discus pairs aren't showing any signs of of Hex, but I want to be sure they're super clean before I get a spawn from them so their offspring are also clean.  I seem to have gotten a reputation as a good domestic breeder of quality Discus on Simply.

Since I'm already hobbling around I'm gonna hit the sack.  Nothing is better for my rotten back that a good night of sleep.  Poor back just can't handle the weight of me standing, and I'm a very small person.  Have a good evening and a restful night everyone. 

Always move forward. Never look back.

ghonk

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 21, 2022, 10:15:02 AM

The first thing I did after I got up was replace the dying air pump with one I had in reserve.  I bought those Medo pumps for $50. each used on eBay about 15 years ago.  I knew that eventually one would die.  They're the same kind of pump as the best ones at Jehmco.  New they cost around $300.

I heard the Medo pumps are great,i almost bought one,but thought is was   overkill for me at the time and bought an Alita 15,which likely would benefit from a rebuild now.   
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Ron Sower

Hi all!...

Went out to the car to go to pain doc this morning and the battery was dead...ubered to the docs and back...charged the battery then drove over to get a replacement...they don't last long in the heat here...next off to the office for the tank maintenance gig!...

And on top of this I have a PITA renter who is not happy with the rent fee we charge and is telling my Realtor and us that she's not going to allow us to show the place...I did inform her that was illegal on her part...there's more to it tho, but I'm not going to let it bug me...

The fella that came by to get plants last night was telling me how nice my Vienna guppies looked...made me proud of them!...he's a manager of a Petco in Scottsdale...he raises a lot of fish on his own...

Good to see you here, Barb...back in the pack! ;)...Liz, you sure are doing well with your fish sales, gal! ...ANd Willie, looks like you and Liz both need to work on keeping warm...

Barb, I had mentioned recently that Lucy and I are going to Drive up to Sedona Wednesday and come back Saturday...there's a restaurant at the airport that has a nice view where we have thanksgiving meal reservations...looking forward to it...

I hope y'all are having a good sleep!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron