• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:14:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 152
Total: 153

First Spawn

Started by Owl307, November 06, 2022, 09:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owl307

Good morning everyone! My boyfriend has always wanted to breed Discus. So, when we saw a pair with wigglers in a community tank at the LFS we decided to pick them up. I saw them cleaning the slate last night but didn't think anything of it. This morning, day 6 of having them, and we already have eggs on the cone! Wish us luck, this is the first time either of us have kept discus and tips and tricks are always appreciated. I apologize The picture is dark. The lights are still off this morning. Very excited!
With patience and perseverance anything can be accomplished.

LizStreithorst

Nice batch of eggs!  I've been breeding Discus for 20 years.  I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Appears that you're off to a good start!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ghonk

Congrats,hopefully they will parent raise.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

LizStreithorst

They'd better.  Otherwise she's up shit creek without a paddle.  Discus babies need their parent's slime as their first food.

Owl307

We had an incident yesterday where the guy remodeling the bathroom left the garage door open (where the tank is). Mind you it's been snowing for about 2 days now on and off. We've gotten about 4" so far today. Anyway, it's really cold and the temperature in the tank dropped maybe 8 degrees before I got home and shut the door. From 86 to 78. The fish seemed a little stressed out but have come around today. The eggs though had maybe 20% go white. There was only 5 or 6 bad eggs before I left that morning. The remaining eggs have hatched into wigglers today. Not nearly as many as we had hoped, but considering the circumstances some is better than none! The fry they pair had at the store were going free swimming when we purchased them so I think they will parent raise just fine. Does anyone here know about remineralizing RODI water? We have the pair in 100% RODI but I've been doing some research and can't figure out if I need to be doing this or not.

LizStreithorst

A drop of 8 degrees is not the end of the world for Discus.  Discus are tough if you treat them the way they demand.

Once the eggs turn into wigglers there is no necessity to use RO.  Aged tap water is just fine for them.  I have actually raised a spawn to 5" fish in pure RO when I sold them  The fish get their minerals from their food not their water.  Don't worry about it.

ghonk

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2022, 06:07:59 PM
They'd better.  Otherwise she's up shit creek without a paddle.  Discus babies need their parent's slime as their first food.

I thought Discus could be raises without the parents,forgot what they are fed in that case.
Maybe i'm thinking of another type of fish.
Paul Simon

LizStreithorst

It's an amazing amount of work to artificially raise.  I considered giving it a try, but decided against it.  Just too much work for me.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?138350-How-to-artificially-raise-discus-courtesy-The-Urban-Fishkeeper&highlight=artificial

ghonk

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 10, 2022, 09:28:07 AM
It's an amazing amount of work to artificially raise.  I considered giving it a try, but decided against it.  Just too much work for me.

Reminds me of the PITA i went through raising my albino Dantum angels,only worse. ;D
Paul Simon

Owl307

Update on the wigglers: the parents hid them on us yesterday. We thought they had eaten the spawn but they just moved them to the back of the sponge filter. Silly fish. Should have free swimmers soon!

LizStreithorst

Discus, like Rams can be sneaky.  Truth is, the more times they move them, the more protective of them they get.  After a while you can tell if there are still fry in the tank by the parents behavior.  Same thing with the rams.

Owl307

Update: we have free swimmers! We ended up lowering the water and covering the sponge filter with white nylon because the fry were all over the place last night. The majority seem to have found the parents now.

LizStreithorst

That is often the case with PB's because they can't darken.  All the kids go to the black sponge.