• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 06:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 167
Total: 167

Lovely Saturday

Started by wsantia1, September 03, 2022, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good afternoon everyone. It is another beautiful day here on the Delmarva Peninsula. I woke up to 64 degrees this morning and it is now 83F under sunny skies with a nice 8 mph breeze coming from the north. Temps will top out at 85 degrees this afternoon.

I've been playing around with my shrimp this morning. I drained a tank of "blues" and I am now acclimating them into another bigger tank of blues. Since I don't remember one set of blues from the other I could probably end up with wild type mutt shrimp in the tank which in that case the tank will become a feeder shrimp tank.

I  have a tank of yellow shrimp that is still doing well but is being over run with Java Moss and the dreaded duckweed which appeared out of nowhere. I'm sure it travelled here from a fish club meeting last winter. Unfortunately that Java Moss is now contaminated with Duckweed huh.

It's a shame that I have absolutely nothing to do outside of the house because it is one of those rare nice days that we haven't seen much since the summer started. I will end up at the park later this afternoon with Kobe. He will love it out there today.

I think Barb is on a boat ride, what are the rest of you guys up to today? Hopefully it's something real good. I'll check in on you all later on.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Willie, I battled against duckweed a couple of months ago.  I toss ed out a bunch of other plants that were contaminated with it.  If just 1 tiny piece of a leaf escapes you, you will have a tank full of duckweed in no time.  I know that you love your Java moss but if you want to rid yourself of the duckweed it will have to go.  Even after all I have done every once in a while I see a little duckweed plant.  I net them out and toss them immediately.  It is the worst aquarium weed that God ever made.  Noah should have forgotten to take some with him before he set sail.

Barb, I'm glad your taking on the water to relax and chill.  You sounded pretty bummed out yesterday.  Don't feel bad about being bummed.  When things pile up on you like your PT news and dealing with your mother's problems it's the normal reaction.  A vacation day for yourself will do you good.

It's nice weather here, too, but hotter than what Willie has.  They say we will have thorms starting at 4 and lasting until 8.  I hope they're right because I want the ground to get soft since I bought a 6 pack of broccoli plants when I was at the feed store for alfalfa pellets.

I took the babies for their morning run.  I saw that I still had 2 green lights on the scooter.  That should have been enough of a charge for me to make the full trip with no  .  But not even half way up the dirt road to my house I lost more and more charge until suddenly the scooter quit.  I pushed it on home which wasn't to bad since I'd taken my morning drugs and was able to lean on the scooter as I pushed.  I pulled the battery out and cleaned the connections with alcohol and let it charge while I went to town.  When I got home it should have had a full charge but it didn't.  I hauled the huge piece of cardboard to the garden with it.  The scooter made it but lost charge along the way.  I may need to buy a new battery.  Thank God I've been selling fish and I'm not broke.

Thanks Barb for wishing us a happy Labor Day.  When I read that I realized that Monday would be a holiday and I couldn't ship.  I contacted my buyers and let them know that I'd be shipping Tuesday.

That's all my boring news.  I bet that Ron has plans for the holiday.  I'm looking forward to hearing from Barb in a cheerful state of mind.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Hi Willie, Liz, Barb and whoever else follows this forum...

My linear piston pump arrived this morning from Jehmco and I immediately connected it to the air system...I've been cutting the silicone tubing that I ordered with it and attaching it to the sponges and valves...it's tedious and tough on my original left knee because I'm using a 3-step ladder to reach the valves...once done, I'm going to start filling the 5g tanks and watch for leaks...also I will put some of the fish I'm taking to the swap in them so they'll be easier to net and bag for the swap...

The next phase, when I get to it, is lighting...I'm not going to use the high end lights because of cost, but I do need some that will foster moderate plant growth...I will probably have to bring a bunch of plants inside from the 3 big tanks out there...of course I will test with some plants to see if they will survive the nighttime lows here...

Our plans this weekend are to be here and off the streets and away from crowds...tonight we're playing cards with one couple and tomorrow we're having another couple over for drinks and a spaghetti dinner...Monday we're going up to the clubhouse for a Labor Day dinner and dance...during the days I'll be putzing with my fish and plants...

Lucy is getting a lot of prep work done for her next 2 card classes...Monday the 12th before we leave for our Mexico vacation...and the 26 after we return...

You folks stay safe and enjoy the weekend...

Happy Aquariuming!...🤗🤗🤗
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Liz, I never had duckweed or limpets before I started keeping shrimp. I'm pretty sure that's how the limpets got here so it's possible that I got the duckweed the same way. huh The duckweed is not in any of my fish tanks so that's good.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.