• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

Seeking advice

Started by Ron Sower, August 01, 2022, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I have the five discus in the 75g...the pigeon bloods are paired and spawn every 7-10 days...the spawn never survives, probably because there are Cories, 4 altums, and 4 SAEs in the tank... of the other 3 melons, the slightly smaller one appears to be hiding a lot now, or segregates from the others...

Today I decided to sit and watch them for a longer period of time than normal to see what dynamics are playing out...

What I observed is he has no fin or body damage, he comes around the others to eat, and the other 4 are gently nudging or nipping at him and he retreats...(BTW I don't really know if it is a he or a she)...

I'm trying to decide how to handle this...
1. Sell the smaller guy, leaving the 4 in there to see if the 2 melons pair up?
2. Move the spawning pair into their own tank and maybe get a good spawn?
3. Move the 3 melons to another tank, leaving the spawners together, also moving the SAEs and altums out too?
4. Let them settle it among themselves risking losing the smaller one?

I originally bought these Discus to enjoy them as "pets"... now I'm thinking I might like to raise a bunch of fry as A project... with this in mind, I'm looking for some experienced discus ppl to mak suggestions of what I should do...

TIA!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Ron, are these fish in a BB tank?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 01, 2022, 05:27:16 PM
Ron, are these fish in a BB tank?
just rock with attached plants...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

You won't get fry to live in a tank with other tank mates so move the pair to a tank of their own.  A 29 is perfect.  But first, to give you the best chance of success, I'd treat for worms, flukes and hex.  That could be the problem with your smaller fish, or it could be the big ones are picking on the smaller one because he is on the bottom or the hierarchy.  Give the tank a good wipe down.  You can treat for worms and flukes with the same product.  Use Absolute Wormer according to directions on the label.  Give them a few days rest and then treat for hex.  It's a PITS because the treatment lasts for 12 days.  Use pure Metro.  I get mine from Jehmco.  Dose at 500 mg per 10 per 10 gallons with large WC daily.  Dose the 500 mg per 10 every time because Metro brakes down over 24 hrs.  Then you should be good to go.  Best of luck!

BTW, did you see the pic of my Blue Snake Skins I posted for you a few days ago?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

My ho pigeon blood female has now spawned with the 3rd presumed male pictured here and  what you see below is the result…

Liz, thank you for the instructions in the prior post here…if and when I get serious about breeding these discus, I’ll follow them to the letter…

This is an interesting group of fish…
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron