• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:06:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154

Happy Thursday

Started by wsantia1, June 09, 2022, 05:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. I woke up to a downpour with plenty of thunder and lightning but it was gone in a flash and I think it won't have much effect on our drought conditions. It is currently 72 degrees and sunny and we will top off at 83f this afternoon. A beautiful day for sure. |^| |^| |^|

Today is water changes for me. I was gonna get a haircut but I need to take care of the fish first. The only fish I've been really focused on is those black ram fry and today marks two weeks since they went free swimming.  mim mim mim

I've actually been keeping notes due to my previous failures. In the past I have managed to get a few of the gold ones to maturity but never the black ones. Liz, what do you do with your gold rams and do the gold rams ever produce black rams?  huh

That's all for now. I have to get Kobe over to grooming and then I get to spend most of the day in the fishroom playing with all of the other fish. |^| |^| |^| 

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Happy Thursday, Willie.  I'm glad you got a bit of rain.  It's way dry here, too.  They say a good chance of thunderstorms tomorrow but this morning I turned the sprinkler on the veggie garden.  I'll only leave it on for a couple of hours.  Just long enough to prepare the soften the soil enough to handle a down pour.

Willie, I have never bred gold to gold but I have a feeling that they would only produce gold.  I sell mine cheap to the LPS or give them away free to friends.  As far as fry, I have found that the golds grow faster than the blacks and are also more aggressive.  I cull as many golds as I can when they are little babies by feeding them to other fish.  When they get big enough that they are easy to separate but too big to use as fish food I put them in my junk fish tank to mature.  It is good to separate the 2 colors because the blacks seem to grow better by themselves.  Besides it gives a ratio of more water per fish with the golds out. 

I was bad and skipped my WC yesterday in lieu of getting the house to the point where I won't be embarrassed if someone comes to visit.  After that, even though it was early evening I lay down flat on my back with 2 box fans blowing on me.  I stayed there until 6 this morning.  It did me good because I feel better and more optimistic today.  When I went down to the fish room this morning my first pair of Pitch Blacks from the younger batch spawned.  I didn't want to advertise them until they started spawning, so now I can do it.

I lost another hen yesterday evening some time.  I figured I had by the way the dogs went crazy barking off and on until way after dark.  The hen that sleeps in the house started spending more time inside than she had been.  I didn't mind until she started pooping inside.  Her poop was runny and she just seemed somehow off so I caught her up and gave her a good tube worming with Panacur.  I could tell by this morning that she was feeling better. 

I have to hit the feed store today.  Everyone is either out of or low on feed.  The fish will pay for the other animals food this time :)

Hope everyone has a good day without too much damn pain.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Thanks for that feedback Liz. I kinda thought that was what you were doing with those golds and I will probably do that when I get ready to move them to a larger that. The golds do seem to be growing just a little bit faster but the blacks are growing too. Thanks again.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Hi Willie and Liz, and Ron later on.  It is quite hot here today, but the ground is still moist from rain the other night.  It rained for 1 hr.  I noticed my full rainbarrel was almost empty today, and there at the bottom of it was a tiny hole with water spewing out.  Now I need a new plastic trashcan to collect water.  Do any of you collect and use rainwater? Ron I doubt you do, haha.

Freeze dried blackworms from Oz are now so expensive I have decided to switch my Discus to other foods.  They like everything I offer them, pellets, flakes, sticks, etc. so no more worms for them.  They will be OK.  If babies I would get the expensive worms for them though.

I am going to a local nursery tonight for an orchid class with snacks and drinks.  And it is only 2 miles from my house! I currently have about  20 orchids.  A new hobby.
Barb

Ron Sower

Hi Muggers!...

It was a good day!...a return customer picked up 5 Amazon swords and a Madagascar lace plant this morning...then we went early to Florence to play cards...early because I was told by our friend Ron R. that we had a water leak in one of our rentals and we went over and checked it out...sure was!!!...and on our side of the meter... :(...I'll call a handyman that works in the are and see if he has time to repair it....

Miss Lucy and I won the Samba game today...woohoo! :D :D :D  Sitting so long at the card table is starting to cause my back to ache more...I'll have to figure out a better way to sit...when we got home I went to the pool and the hot tub for an hour...it helps...

Barb, I'm getting my freeze dried black worms from Simply Discus....is that the same place???...I'm going to start picking up night crawlers at bait stores to feed my discus and altums...

Tomorrow is a shipping day...Lucy and I made some changes in our bagging are to see if we can be more efficient and faster...we'll see how it goes...

Time to head to bed and read...hope you guys are snug in bed and getting a good night's sleep...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron