• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:32:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 131
Total: 131

Tis Tuesday

Started by Barb, June 07, 2022, 06:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Good morning Mug friends!  It is a nice calm cool morning here, wish it would last all day.  But the heat will be here in a couple hours.  My fish news is about snails.    Last year, less than 12 mo. ago, I ordered a bunch of Assassin snails, still have them and they are doing well even though they have no other snails to assassinate.  So I just feed them fishfood.  Well, the guy who sent them also sent me a dz baby ivory mystery snails.  They are escape artists, and several got out of my tank never to be found.  I had about 6 left, they were growing well, but I am down to only one.  I put 4 in my discus tank a few weeks ago, no other place for them, and my discus have eaten 3 of them.  Sucked their bodies right out of their shells.  The snails were almost 1" big too.  Escargot for discus I guess.  I took the last one out and put it in my little heavily planted shrimp tank that has 3 yellows and 1 blue, no babies.  And it is well covered.  I do hope this last pretty white snail will live. 

Still no sign of my baby turtle, but I think it is just hiding in the pond until it gets bigger.  The fish and occasional ducks in there probably scare it badly.  You all have a good day!
Barb

LizStreithorst

Barb, I have never in my life heard of a Discus eating mystery snails.  I do know that they do very well with shrimp.  The shrimpies actually eat their poo!  I always keep the water level 2 or 3 inches below the top because they do like to crawl above the water level.  If you need some more baby mystery snails I have some that I can send you.  I could also spare some blue shrimp.  Just let me know.  This is a great time of year to ship. 

I took an order of Pitch Black Rams to the slaughter house/butcher place.  I love being able to drive a mile or so up the road to ship.  I try to take them fresh free range eggs as a small thank you.  I know that helping me with shipping is easy and no trouble for them but it means a lot to me.  USPS let me down too many times.  I love that I have been able to leave them for good.

I found out yesterday that my AC is no longer cooling.  This is a different problem from last time.  Shawn figured that this would happen when he put his hand on the pipe that took the cold air into the house and said that it was cool.  It should have been ice cold.  I used it yesterday afternoon for the second time and it didn't blow anything but warm air.  Ron, you take care of rental properties.  Do you know anything about AC's?  I have a bad feeling that fixing this will be costly.  I'll be looking closely at Shawn's window units when he gets back from work on the oil rig.  I don't know how old his are but I know that the new ones are very energy efficient.

It's a nice day here. Partly cloudy with a nice breeze.  Of course it will get hot later.  I'm so glad that I put my house under trees.  My bedroom, where I will retreat when it gets too hot for me never sees any sun at all. 

It's time to feed the Discus and Rams lunch.  Hope everyone has a good time with anything they are working on.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Good afternoon Barb and Liz. I had a back doctor appointment today but this time it was basically a progress report. I am doing better but I am probably one wrong move from being back at square one. At the end of the month I will be going in and getting my third shot. My second shot, which I had in February, did wonders for me.

It is cloudy, warm and very breezy here. I can tell that rain is on the way. We really need some as it hasn't rained in a couple of weeks and we had a few 95 degree plus days during that period. I won't let the landscapers cut my grass tomorrow because it is dormant at the moment.

All is well in the fishroom and I am especially happy that my Ram fry are still doing well after free swimming for 11 days. My BBS problem has resolved for now. I have 3 containers going and they are staggered 12 hours apart. I am letting them cook for 36 hours before harvesting them. When I had fresher eggs I was able to harvest at 18 to 24 hours. I will have some fresh eggs by tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

They should hatch in 18 hrs.  Something you are doing must not be right.  Tell me exactly how you're hatching them now.  Maybe I can figure it out.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 07, 2022, 12:28:42 PM
Barb, I have never in my life heard of a Discus eating mystery snails.  I do know that they do very well with shrimp.  The shrimpies actually eat their poo!  I always keep the water level 2 or 3 inches below the top because they do like to crawl above the water level.  If you need some more baby mystery snails I have some that I can send you.  I could also spare some blue shrimp.  Just let me know.  This is a great time of year to ship. 

I took an order of Pitch Black Rams to the slaughter house/butcher place.  I love being able to drive a mile or so up the road to ship.  I try to take them fresh free range eggs as a small thank you.  I know that helping me with shipping is easy and no trouble for them but it means a lot to me.  USPS let me down too many times.  I love that I have been able to leave them for good.

I found out yesterday that my AC is no longer cooling.  This is a different problem from last time.  Shawn figured that this would happen when he put his hand on the pipe that took the cold air into the house and said that it was cool.  It should have been ice cold.  I used it yesterday afternoon for the second time and it didn't blow anything but warm air.  Ron, you take care of rental properties.  Do you know anything about AC's?  I have a bad feeling that fixing this will be costly.  I'll be looking closely at Shawn's window units when he gets back from work on the oil rig.  I don't know how old his are but I know that the new ones are very energy efficient.

It's a nice day here. Partly cloudy with a nice breeze.  Of course it will get hot later.  I'm so glad that I put my house under trees.  My bedroom, where I will retreat when it gets too hot for me never sees any sun at all. 

It's time to feed the Discus and Rams lunch.  Hope everyone has a good time with anything they are working on.
...No I don't. Other than we replaced a dead unit in one of our rentals and it cut the electric bill almost in half!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Here I am at night again!...

No fish news today...we pick and ship tomorrow...

Kind of a lazy day...we went to the PO to drop off a package, then had a street taco for lunch on our way to the bank to deposit a rent check...visited a friend who got home from a 3 day hospital stay for a serious UTI...we asked them to join us for dinner at Mod Pizza in the 17th for Lucy's birthday...and on the way home stopped at another couple to see if they would like to come too...they will...

Tomorrow we are getting our new beds from Macys delivered...

Had some delicious French Dip sammiches for dinner...then watched tv...I'm on my way to bed to read now...goodnight muggers!💤
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 07, 2022, 02:27:30 PM
They should hatch in 18 hrs.  Something you are doing must not be right.  Tell me exactly how you're hatching them now.  Maybe I can figure it out.

Liz my mixture is as follows:

1 Liter of water. Water temp at 80 degrees
1 2/3 tablespoon non iodize salt
1 scoop of eggs. More as the fry get bigger

I think my water temp may have been off because one day the temp was 75 and when I adjusted the temp it went over the 80 degree mark. I replaced the heater and things are much better now. I harvested two containers this morning so everything eats bbs today. lol

Thanks for your help Liz. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.