• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 156
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 151
Total: 152

Discus advice please…

Started by Ron Sower, March 30, 2022, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Is there any possibility tha pt someone could take my discus eggs on the heater and raise them away from the parents?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Yes, it can be done Ron.  But only by someone who has the expertise and lots of time.  Doing this with Angel eggs is fairly simple, not the same with Discus though.  Liz can point you to the experts if you decide to do it.  LOTS of work and stress though.  If you could do it, put that pair in their own 20 gal tank, let them spawn and see if they will raise the babies, they just may!  A 20 gal tank is just fine for this.  You don't need a 29.  If it works, later on when the fry are big enough, you take the parents back out to their own big tank, then raise the babies yourself, which is when later on they need a bigger tank.  Then the real work begins.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Ron, raising Discus artificially is incredibly time consuming and takes great dedication to getting everything exactly right.  I consider myself a very dedicated Discus breeder but even I don't want to tackle that job.  This guy has the easiest set up for artificial I've seen yet.  http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?138350-How-to-artificially-raise-discus-courtesy-The-Urban-Fishkeeper&highlight=artificial

Since your pair doesn't like the cone you might try a slate next time.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Thanks, ladies! I knew you would point me where I need to go...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 31, 2022, 10:21:30 AM
Ron, raising Discus artificially is incredibly time consuming and takes great dedication to getting everything exactly right.  I consider myself a very dedicated Discus breeder but even I don't want to tackle that job.  This guy has the easiest set up for artificial I've seen yet.  http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?138350-How-to-artificially-raise-discus-courtesy-The-Urban-Fishkeeper&highlight=artificial

Since your pair doesn't like the cone you might try a slate next time.

Liz, I thought this was a very informative video. Thanks for sharing. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.