• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 12:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

Frosty Friday

Started by Barb, January 21, 2022, 06:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Hi folks, no snow here, yet, and the ice storm gets here later today.  It is 32 now, at 7am.  tonight into the low 20's with frozen stuff of some sort out there.  I am safe at home, no plans to go out until Sunday afternoon to see my mom.  How is it where you live?  Ron we know it is great out in AZ!  Liz, hope all goes well with Martha arriving today, are you picking her up at an airport?  Willie, I hope you are feeling much better, pain in cold weather is always a bummer.   Ron, what all is going on with you?  How many plant tanks do you have up right now?  Most of my plants from you are doing well, but not as well as you grow them I know. You all have a good day and I will see you here later on.
Barb

wsantia1

Good morning Barb and everyone. It is currently 18 degrees with plenty of sunshine and a 12 mph wind coming from the north. Barb that northern wind is what's going to keep that ice storm from getting to me.

I am still in some pain but not as much as pain as I've been in. I've even been doing some light housework this morning because I've been living in a mess.

Since I don't like cold weather I will be indoors most of the day. I took Kobe for a walk in the park but I cut that walk short and we only walked a 1/2 mile. That was more than enough in these conditions.

Barb I was wondering the same thing as Barb about the airport pickup. What airport would Martha come into to?

I just took some muscle relaxers so I will probably be taking a nap here soon. I'll check in later on you all.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Hi guys.  Martha is flying into the Jackson airport.  It's about 1 1/2 hrs. from here.  Her flight is coming at 2:45 this afternoon.  I never got around to thoroughly cleaning the inside of the tank, but a ride in a messy car is better than no ride at all.

It dropped to 22 overnight.  Totally unbearable.  It will warm up to 40 by the time I leave for the airport.  Still cold but at least tolerable.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 21, 2022, 09:53:39 AM
Hi guys.  Martha is flying into the Jackson airport.  It's about 1 1/2 hrs. from here.  Her flight is coming at 2:45 this afternoon.  I never got around to thoroughly cleaning the inside of the tank, but a ride in a messy car is better than no ride at all.

It dropped to 22 overnight.  Totally unbearable.  It will warm up to 40 by the time I leave for the airport.  Still cold but at least tolerable.

You are so right about that Liz.
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on January 21, 2022, 06:28:50 AM
Hi folks, no snow here, yet, and the ice storm gets here later today.  It is 32 now, at 7am.  tonight into the low 20's with frozen stuff of some sort out there.  I am safe at home, no plans to go out until Sunday afternoon to see my mom.  How is it where you live?  Ron we know it is great out in AZ!  Liz, hope all goes well with Martha arriving today, are you picking her up at an airport?  Willie, I hope you are feeling much better, pain in cold weather is always a bummer.   Ron, what all is going on with you?  How many plant tanks do you have up right now?  Most of my plants from you are doing well, but not as well as you grow them I know. You all have a good day and I will see you here later on.
Barb
It is cool at 57 right now at 9:20am and going to 65...BUT...it feels colder because it's grey with no sunshine!...
All 12 of my tanks are planted...I even have started some corkscrew vals in my Shellie tank 2 days ago...hoping they'll do better than in the other tank they are in...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 22, 2022, 10:26:34 AM
Barb
It is cool at 57 right now at 9:20am and going to 65...BUT...it feels colder because it's grey with no sunshine!...
All 12 of my tanks are planted...I even have started some corkscrew vals in my Shellie tank 2 days ago...hoping they'll do better than in the other tank they are in...

Ron, what do you think is your easiest plant beside to grow and keep alive. The only thing I can grow is Java Moss.
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 22, 2022, 10:36:42 AM
Barb

Ron, what do you think is your easiest plant beside to grow and keep alive. The only thing I can grow is Java Moss.
...you'll hate this!.....DUCKWEED!...I can't get rid of that crap!...and everyone I get plants from around here has it! >:( so I'm always trying to eradicate it...

But really, one of the easiest plants that I TRY to grow is Water Wisteria...floaters are pretty easy...and 2 of my favorites are Red Tiger Lotus and Aponogeton ulvaceous...and I grow them from bulbs I order...when the lotus gets established and get good root feeding with tabs, they begin to send out underground shoots with new plants. They could actually take over my 125 that they're in...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 22, 2022, 10:47:32 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on January 22, 2022, 10:36:42 AM
Barb

...you'll hate this!.....DUCKWEED!...I can't get rid of that crap!...and everyone I get plants from around here has it! >:( so I'm always trying to eradicate it...

But really, one of the easiest plants that I TRY to grow is Water Wisteria...floaters are pretty easy...and 2 of my favorites are Red Tiger Lotus and Aponogeton ulvaceous...and I grow them from bulbs I order...when the lotus gets established and get good root feeding with tabs, they begin to send out underground shoots with new plants. They could actually take over my 125 that they're in...

Sorry about the duckweed. I saw a couple in my newly setup guppy tank last week and got rid of them right away. I thing they came in when my friend gave me some guppies a few weeks ago. I like the Red Tiger Lotus also. I never tried bulbs in the aquarium.
Willie

Ron Sower

Hi Muggers...

Yesterday was Samba cards day in the old hood in Florence with two other couples...we guys beat the gals...YAY!! |^|

We got home about 8:30 and I pulled plants and bagged for eBay guy to come get and ship...I haven't been able to get all that we need from my supplier, and I certainly can't grow them fast enough...I hate it when we can't fill an order...eBay guy left at 11:45 last night!...we were talking about rental real estate ...he's a sharp astute young fellow and will build some real wealth by the time he's 40 I'll bet...he picks our brains about our experiences...and it's easy to tell he's researching...

By the way, Barb, I'm really a hack at growing aquatic plants...many aquarist do much better than I...I'm too much of a generalist to spend the time and energy to get perfect growth out of most plants...!!,

I think it's time to get on over to Petsmart and get a 75 complete setup today...if I order online to pick up its 20% off...

In other news from the Sower household, there's not much news!... ;D. have a good rest of you day, gang...I'm gonna go start mine now...!

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron