• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 02:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 166
Total: 167

Snowy Friday

Started by wsantia1, January 07, 2022, 06:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning folks. For the second time this week we got hit with a snow storm. This time it was overnight and the snow has already stopped. Even better, this time the snow removal crew is already on the job and has already cleared my walkway and sidewalk. Since I live in a corner house I have a lot of sidewalk and I worry about getting that done first.

I'm still on Covid lockdown because Delaware has stricter isolation rules than the CDC. It doesn't bother me too much because I have plenty of food and can walk around outside as long as I stay away from people. I can also go to the store as long as I am masked , something I always do anyway.

Some more playing in the fishroom is in the cards for me today. Hopefully you all have a wonderful day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Good morning Willie and the rest later on today.  I missed yesterday, was taking my mom to 2 appts. then shopping and lunch, and the weather was bad. But his morning, though cold, is sunny,  I love to see the Winte sun.  Will be different in July and Aug of course.

Good for you following the "covid rules".  I think lots of infected people are still going out, even unmasked, making the problems even worse.  Do you have any snow pics to show us?  I am betting it is beautiful!  No snow here in about 2 or more years, I would like to see some.  My car is supposed to do well on snowy/icy roads.  Though I would not risk it, I have little experience driving on such.  We southerners freak out when the roads get snowy or icy.  When I lived in Canada, life continued as usual no matter what the Winter weather, they laugh at us here.

You all have a good day, don't work too hard,
Barb

wsantia1

Barb, this is my situation.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Willie, I pity you having snow.  Barb is congratulatory.  But you're looking at it from the right point of view.  "It could be worse".  That's what I said to myself last year fixing a burst pipe and getting soaking wet draining all the water so I could get to the break all in fridge weather.  It could have been worse.

Yesterday I said, that all I had left to do in the bedroom was wipe down the walls as though that job would be easy.  I got 2 4'doors and 1 wall clean and part of the shelves on the bookcase.  There were still cobwebs stuck to the corners and ceiling that I had to deal with first.  After that I was totally wasted and had to lie down and nap.  I thought about getting back to it after WC but just the though of all that painful work hurt just thinking about it.  Instead I worked on a 100 gallon planted tank that had been bugging me for weeks.  I scooped out all the duck weed.  Unfortunatly, all the lovely dwarf water lettuce had to go with it.  That duckweed sticks to everything.  I trimmed back the Jungle Val that had also grown to cover the entire tank surface.  Then I took a razor blade to the glass to remove that hard tough algae growing on it and treated a few plants with a double dose of Flourish Excel.  Finally, I took out the Matten filter that was in there and replaced it with 3 sterile sponges.  Sounds like a lot of work but it was nothing compared to all that bedroom work.  Today, if I don't have too much pain, I'll try to finish it up.  After that I'll tackle the hall which is really terrible but will be easier for me because the 3 step step ladder I ordered yesterday will arrive tomorrow.

I no longer plan to make the living and grooming rooms perfect.  Martha loves to clean to perfection but is old and it's hard for her, just like it is for me.  She and I can share the living room.  I'll do all the physical stuff and she'll do the finish.  She is much more attentive to detail as I will ever be.  I like the big job.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Looks like you guys are all off to a good start today...glad to see that...

Weather wise, here, we're having beautiful days in the mid-to-upper 60s with crisp nights...our cousins in Wenatchee, WA have 24" of snow in their yard that dropped Thursday...so, Willie you might have gotten off easy so far...still, though, be careful walking out there...

I just talked to friends in our old Florence hood, who just returned from their Xmas visit to their daughter in London, and they had rain and gloomy grey skies the entire 3 weeks there...the sun was out on they day they left to fly home...reminds me of Seattle winters...

Yesterday was a fun one visiting fishy people and picking up plants and getting set up for the Sunday remote at the Ocean Floor fish store...if you'd like to see it we plan to go live at 1:00pm Phoenix Time on our Facebook group page...topic is setting up a saltwater tank...it's the first time we've done this, so my fingers are crossed!...

I still have some plants to get into tanks today and some WCs to do...

Liz, I have a load of duckweed in several tanks..what I do is remove it all and pick out a few/many dwarf water lettuce and rinse them thoroughly and put them back into the tank to multiply...invariably there is at least one little dw that is stuck to one and starts it all over again! huh And some of the plants I pick up from other ppl will have some dw somewhere that I miss :-\ :-\ :-\ ...want me to mail you some Dwarf W. Lettuce?.. I'll rinse it here and you can do a rinse there and maybe be successful...

I've had my morning cereal and enjoyed the wonderful aroma of Lucy's coffee so I guess I'd better get on with doing something worthwhile now...

Y'all have a great fishrooming day...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

You folks need a few inexpensive feeder goldfish, they love duckweed and will eat every bit they can find.  When they get big and healthy give them to someone for their pond, a win-win!

Super cold here today.  I've been housebound for the last week with something other than covid, so it doesn't really matter what it's doing outside.

Dreaming of warm weather and a fall trip to the west coast on the motorcycle.  Have a great day everyone!

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 07, 2022, 11:17:22 AM

Weather wise, here, we're having beautiful days in the mid-to-upper 60s with crisp nights...our cousins in Wenatchee, WA have 24" of snow in their yard that dropped Thursday...so, Willie you might have gotten off easy so far...still, though, be careful walking out there...

I just talked to friends in our old Florence hood, who just returned from their Xmas visit to their daughter in London, and they had rain and gloomy grey skies the entire 3 weeks there...the sun was out on they day they left to fly home...reminds me of Seattle winters...

Yesterday was a fun one visiting fishy people and picking up plants and getting set up for the Sunday remote at the Ocean Floor fish store...if you'd like to see it we plan to go live at 1:00pm Phoenix Time on our Facebook group page...topic is setting up a saltwater tank...it's the first time we've done this, so my fingers are crossed!...

Liz, I have a load of duckweed in several tanks..what I do is remove it all and pick out a few/many dwarf water lettuce and rinse them thoroughly and put them back into the tank to multiply...invariably there is at least one little dw that is stuck to one and starts it all over again! huh And some of the plants I pick up from other ppl will have some dw somewhere that I miss :-\ :-\ :-\ ...want me to mail you some Dwarf W. Lettuce?.. I'll rinse it here and you can do a rinse there and maybe be successful...

I've had my morning cereal and enjoyed the wonderful aroma of Lucy's coffee so I guess I'd better get on with doing something worthwhile now...

Ron, I tossed it all outside last night and we had a freeze. 

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 07, 2022, 12:24:10 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on January 07, 2022, 11:17:22 AM

Ron, I tossed it all outside last night and we had a freeze.
..Want me to mail you some?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Thanks, but I'll manage.  I did manage to save some from another tank that was not hugely overtaken with duckweed.  It will get to reproducing again and at that point Ill have some to share.

Barb

Beautiful snow pics Willie, keep warm and don't hurt yourself outside.  I would love a little here, to make a snowman in my yard. 
Hi Dennis, I think I will get a couple goldfish then for my 20 gal Endler tank with Ron's tiny water lettuce.  I saw just ONE little piece of duckweed in there a couple mo. ago, and never took it out.  Now I have about 1000 pieces  ::)  Will goldfish bother Endlers? 
Liz, call me,  your phone is off or not ringing.