• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 02:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Happy Hump Day

Started by Barb, January 05, 2022, 05:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Good morning everyone, hope all are well?  I am watching the sun come up, I always like to see it, but it usually happens before I get up.  Today will be a little warmer than yesterday, thank goodness.  I have another day of taking my mom to 2 appts.  It is easier to do with her when not too bad weather.

Later this month my neighbor, who is a good friend, is having a knee replacement and they are sending her home the same day!!  She is 81 and her insurance won't pay for a stay in nursing home/rehab facility.  She says they told her she would be fine living alone.  She thinks I will be available to help as needed.  She thinks I will just bring her food, take care of her cat, and that is all she will need.  Her daughter won't come help her at all.  She lives in MD.  I am worried, and can't spend all day every day helping her for weeks.  She has no other real friends to help her.  Just me.  What in the world do I do?  I am too busy with my own life and taking care of my own mom.  Ron, is there some new way of knee replacement that is so easy they send her home the same day???
Barb

wsantia1

Happy Hump Day Barb and everyone. Because of Kobe I see the sun rise everyday whether I want to or not. lol  It is going to be warmer today and we will get some melting of the snow/ice but it is still going to be very dangerous getting around here.

I took a ride outside of the subdivision yesterday and it is a different world. The streets are plowed and treated and it is safe to get around. My subdivision is still under development so the developer is responsible for cleaning the streets as well as the driveways and sidewalks. The town won't do the streets until the subdivision gets turned over to them and that won't happen for a while.

Barb I don't know what to say about your neighbor. Is there a Department of Social Services in your town. We have one here and they bring you food and pick you up to take you to doctor appointments etc.. If you have one in your area maybe you can find out what kind of services they offer and suggest them to her. Maybe they can call her and offer some assistance.

On a lighter note. I did all of my water changes yesterday and I have enough energy to do some of the finer things necessary to run a fishroom. Things like tank wipe wipe downs and sponge squeezing. I promise that I will not go overboard. 

Have a great day everyone.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on January 05, 2022, 05:56:12 AM
Ron, is there some new way of knee replacement that is so easy they send her home the same day???
Barb
...they had told me I would be up and walking a couple hours after surgery...which I was...that's because the nerve block was still in effect and the pain wasn't excruciating...they kept me overnight because my surgery was later in the day and they wanted longer observation time...the next few days presented a different story...I was in pain and unstable when getting up and going to the bathroom...it was good to have my Lucy there if help was needed...I felt much safer...the docs and accomplices are leading her down the primrose path...this surgery is even tougher to recuperate from than hip replacement....I've been told that by several people that have had both...

My friend here in the hood is 82 and they kept her overnight a couple weeks ago...she is very spunky and has had many surgeries, but this one knocked her on her butt...she is a widow and alone, but has had friends stay with her at night...

In my opinion your friend will most likely do better and will be safer with a little help there...will they not cover in-home care?...will she need help with pain meds?...

As for your involvement, that's a no-brainer as I look in from the outside...you have yourself and Mother to care for first and foremost...their Mother-Daughter relationship is not of your doing or concern really...however, knowing you were a nurse tells me that you are a caring person and this is bothering you, especially concerning because she is a good friend...perhaps you can suggest that she postpone the surgery until arrangements can be made for assistance for a couple weeks...

Perhaps you can help her locate senior citizen services through the state or local group...

I don't know what insurance she has, but it sucks...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Well, that was a long dissertation to Barb...sorry...and now I see Willie had the same suggestion about DSS...I just couldn't think of the agency name!

Sunny skies and warming trend still going on here...

The 100g tank that the young lady brought here yesterday afternoon, after a 2 hour drive, was all scratched up...it's a shame because I queried her fully about that condition before I told her I'd take it...I told her I wasn't going to take it and don't even start to unload it....she hemmed and hawed, and made excuses, but I told her I'd pay here the money we agreed upon for delivering it, but I wasn't going to keep it for any amount...she's young and this was a tough lesson, but I hope she learned from it...I guess I'll just move on and watch for Big box store sales...

Barb, your breeding caves were in yesterday's mail...they are beautiful and I'm sure the Apistos will have the classiest caves on the block!..super packing...not a chip...

We started moving some wall hangings and pictures around in the living and dining rooms yesterday...still have some more arranging to do...and I need to get motivated to rework the air and electrical extensions in the fishroom...and add another shelf in the closet...

Even with these things to do, I'm not sure what I'll do today... :D :D :D

I also pulled a bunch more plant orders last night for eBay guy, who came buy to get them and visited until 11pm...!!!

But I do know that I wish you all a good day!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Happy Hump Day from Liz the clean lady.  I'm working like a dog but with sit down breaks.  I'm scrubbing walls and base boards.  The bathroom glistens as does the kitchen.  I'm worming from the perimeter to the middle so if you look around in the living room it looks like I'm not doing a thing.  And since floors are last even where I've cleaned looks dirty.  I did get a brief respite though.  Martha called and for various reasons that include possible airline cancelations she has moved her arrival to Jan 22'd.  That means I don't have to die trying to get this house look like it did when I first moved in.  Today is the bed room which I've already got partially done.

Last time Martha visited was 5 years ago.  She's 80 years old now and even 5 years ago had to figure out how she was going to get out of my big bathtub.  I need to put in grab bar.   It would be easy if I could get one that attached to the side of the tub.  He agreed with my thought that since my tub has an edge that curves around that it wouldn't work.  They're made for normal bathtubs with a rectangle edge.  He helped me to decide where best to place it.  He's very tall.  He could reach the blades on my ceiling fan.
I have to drag in the ladder for that.  I asked him if he would do it for me and he did.  God I'm lucky to have kind neighbors.

Last night was night 2 of sleeping in the fish room.  Yes, my back hurts but hell, it always hurts.  I actually like it down there.  Bruno sleeps in with me and the others sleep in their beds that I put down there.  We're all very comfortable.

Barb, I'm glad the guys had some suggestions about what to do about your poor neighbor but I wouldn't have a clue.  All I have to say about the matter is that the woman's daughter must be a piece of crap to care nothing about her mother.

It's warm here today just like the weather Barb is having.  Doors are open, dogs are happy, and so am I but I've decided to take the rest of the day off from all work other than necessary chores.  I've earned half a day off.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 05, 2022, 01:04:30 PM
Happy Hump Day from Liz the clean lady.  I'm working like a dog but with sit down breaks.  I'm scrubbing walls and base boards.  The bathroom glistens as does the kitchen.  I'm worming from the perimeter to the middle so if you look around in the living room it looks like I'm not doing a thing.  And since floors are last even where I've cleaned looks dirty.  I did get a brief respite though.  Martha called and for various reasons that include possible airline cancelations she has moved her arrival to Jan 22'd.  That means I don't have to die trying to get this house look like it did when I first moved in.  Today is the bed room which I've already got partially done.

Last time Martha visited was 5 years ago.  She's 80 years old now and even 5 years ago had to figure out how she was going to get out of my big bathtub.  I need to put in grab bar.   It would be easy if I could get one that attached to the side of the tub.  He agreed with my thought that since my tub has an edge that curves around that it wouldn't work.  They're made for normal bathtubs with a rectangle edge.  He helped me to decide where best to place it.  He's very tall.  He could reach the blades on my ceiling fan.
I have to drag in the ladder for that.  I asked him if he would do it for me and he did.  God I'm lucky to have kind neighbors.

Last night was night 2 of sleeping in the fish room.  Yes, my back hurts but hell, it always hurts.  I actually like it down there.  Bruno sleeps in with me and the others sleep in their beds that I put down there.  We're all very comfortable.

Barb, I'm glad the guys had some suggestions about what to do about your poor neighbor but I wouldn't have a clue.  All I have to say about the matter is that the woman's daughter must be a piece of crap to care nothing about her mother.

It's warm here today just like the weather Barb is having.  Doors are open, dogs are happy, and so am I but I've decided to take the rest of the day off from all work other than necessary chores.  I've earned half a day off.

Enjoy your break Liz. mim mim mim mim mim
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

I ended up taking the outside xmas lights down and putting them away...great short-sleeve weather for it!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron