• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:43:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

Proud dad with 10 day old babies

Started by LizStreithorst, November 30, 2021, 02:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I took mama fish out because she was becoming aggressive with the daddy.  I worried that she was being eaten to death by all fry.  She just did not seem happy.  I hated to have to do it but I was afraid of her getting fed up and start eating kids.  I may  have been premature but I didn't want to see fry being eaten or worse.  Dad is doing just fine with the kids.   He's a real laid back type of guy.  The kids are starting to leave him and hunt BBS.  When mom was in t he tank the kids wanted her, not BBS.

Here's a pic of dad with some of his little ones.  Most are on his other side.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

HOW EXCITING!!!!  And to think I may be getting some of those little ones.  Just love Dad.  Do you have a pic of Mom?

LizStreithorst

He is raising only 9 of his and his wire's fry.  I put a cone in with the eggs from Big Boy (who you love) and his wife.  I'll go look for them and post their pics tomorrow.

Barb

OK, now I am confused.  I see way more than 9 fry.  Or is this an old pic of another spawn?  Or something else??

LizStreithorst

It's spawned from buth pairs together.  9 of their own kids and about 85 of the other pair's spawn.  The new pair hasn't come to full fertility yet and figured they wouldn't have many kids so when the older pair spawned in the community tank at the same time I pulled their cone and had both in the young pair's tank with RO water.

Barb

Ah, now I see.  Very cool that Discus will do this, thanks for explaining Liz.